Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BIG 3 Upgrade

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hi guys,

Just wondering, about the BIG 3 upgrade. I am purchasing a new subby and amp (Hifonic Olympus 2412 (2400rms) & Hifonic Brutus BXI-2608d (2600rms)) and I already have 2 sets of Type R 6.5" running of a 4-channel alpine amp (the speakers are only 75 or 70rms).

I was wondering if I should upgrade to the BIG 3, if I do I'd get 0 Gauge.

Also.... what does 1/0 mean? I see a lot of 1/0 gauge cable...

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
1/0 is 0ga. Although your not running enough to REQUIRE the BIG 3 I would definetly recommend upgrading the battery to earth.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Yay. I was hoping I wouldn't need to upgrade the BIG 3. I have enough expenses at the moment getting this sub+amp and having to run 0-gauge through my car.

Anyone know how much cable I would need? I've got a VS sedan and I want enough cable to have the amp at the very end of my boot (I don't want to pull my old cable out to see how long it is), I don't want to buy too short.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
6 metres mate.

Cheers for that.

I was going to buy by the meter but I got quoted $25 per meter and that would equate to $150 + the 1M ground and a Amp kit would be $175 for 6M power cable and 1M ground cable + 250A fuse and clamps.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Sorry to bring up an older thread.

I was reading about the big 3 upgrade again. Just wondering if the big 3 upgrade would make a difference in performance? I've read that anything with 1500rms would require the upgrade. My lights don't really dim so haven't had the upgrade as off yet. But was wondering if I'd get a better quality sound because of better current etc. ?? Or if it would be complete waste of time for me to do it?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Wouldnt be a "complete" waste of time mate, you'd only need say 3 meters of 0g and probably 6 x 0g lugs (ring terminals).

Also give the electrics in your car a easier time too.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Wouldnt be a "complete" waste of time mate, you'd only need say 3 meters of 0g and probably 6 x 0g lugs (ring terminals).

Also give the electrics in your car a easier time too.

Say, regardless for the electrics easier time. Is there a change in Audio Quality? I think my amps are getting enough power... but whats clean power? Like said ... my headlights etc don't really dim. So thinking of doing it.. It's like those external crossovers you can get ... would they actually do anything?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Clean power is power thats coming out of the amps that is not clipped (distorted). Your amp is less likely to clip if the voltage at the amps terminals is a good as possible.

As far as your question about audio quality goes....it would depend on how good your electrical / charging system is at the moment, maybe its in great condition and can handle the extra amps drawn by your amplifiers, maybe its not and has trouble handling the extra current draw. (Remember when they design an electrical system they only had the standard electronics in mind, not 100-150A of extra current draw).

Overall, one thing i CAN say for sure is it will not hurt to upgrade your earths. For the price you'll outlay it far outweighs the cost of upgrading to a proper car audio battery, for example Optima, or fully sound deadening a boot to gain sound when compared to just reducing/eliminating rattles. (Ive sound deadened entire boots with Dynamat with no improvement in sound, except for less rattles).