Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big brother is driving you

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Reading the article it's not all doom and gloom. Restricts a car to the roads speed limit, no matter what the prevailing conditions, the speed limit is the speed limit. My concern with road users are the morons who drive 10km/h + under the limit.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
" It will be possible to override the system for the current journey by pushing hard on the throttle, "

:D

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't buy new cars so it's not going to bother me period.

Hell, I still own cars that don't have ABS, right bloody death traps those are....

And I competely agree with NAAF, those bloody drivers that drive well under the posted speed limits and hold everyone up need to be dealt with as they are a direct cause of many a frustrated driver/accidents.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Volvo and Renault already cap maximum speed to a 112mph while the EU regs require gps or vision based speed zone detection where the vehicle‘s speed is kept within the detected speed zone limit. In any case, the driver can override the system by pressing the accelerator with the obligatory buzzes, beeps and other annoyances. So all it will do is stop those inattentive drivers that spend social media time while behind the wheel from inadvertently speeding. Other systems will stop those same drivers from veering into another lane, etc...

The interesting bit is every time such crud is forced on manufacturers, they all complain about their silly priced performance models and how such features would render them unpopular/unsellable. Such would thus impact government income, so exemptions usually follow... Sadly, this means have the $$ to buy new upper end performance and you’ll still be able to be an idiot on public roads but the rest of us normal people just won’t get the chance :eek:

I say stop all this safety stuff and just replace airbags with deplorable metal spikes. Then, allow Darwinian theory to make the driving population smarter and our roads safer. It’s how evolutionary progress is made :p:p

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Reading the article it's not all doom and gloom. Restricts a car to the roads speed limit, no matter what the prevailing conditions, the speed limit is the speed limit. My concern with road users are the morons who drive 10km/h + under the limit.
Don’t forget the fuckwits who dawdle at 60kms an hour to merge onto the motorway. :mad:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Thing is though, how long before said tech filters down to our end of the world?

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Thing is though, how long before said tech filters down to our end of the world?

Exactly, Europe has tended to lead the way in legislating for improvements (like CO2 targets or EV).

Don’t forget the fuckwits who dawdle at 60kms an hour to merge onto the motorway. :mad:

Maybe the system should beep and alarm if you are going slower than the speed limit too...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
No one will develop a safety system to try and fix slow drivers... (other than full self drive)...

PS: Toyota tried to speed up slow drivers via “unintended acceleration“ but were rightly bagged for it :eek::p

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Maybe the system should beep and alarm if you are going slower than the speed limit too...
Doesn‘t make any difference when I lay on the horn to try and get them to hurry the **** up so a car chime isn’t going to make any difference to them. I can’t count how many times I’ve seen idiots in front of me nearly get wiped out by a truck because they pull out in front of it doing 60kph on a motorway.

This is the almost singular reason why we have traffic jams on motorways. If everyone sped up to merge and held their speed until they were off the motorway (not slow down 2kms before they get to their exit) there would be no traffic jams except for when side roads queue onto the motorway.