Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big brother is driving you

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
images.jpeg-4.jpg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Be interesting how they manage to get the system to work......I have a new navman GPS unit fitted to my VC and when I drive down a street near my work, it goes off to do 25, as I am in a school zone....Funny thing is the closest school is about 5 kays away, as the crow flies....So if they use the gps system, it's going to be really interesting to say the least

Reactions: Lex

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
So the car will beep at me when I hit 180kmh but I can push the pedal hard and go faster. My TJ magna already has this feature

Nope max speed of cars will be 112mph. And the car will cut power if you go over a posted speed limit. You can then press through, but it will start bonging.

My old PHEV had similar in EV mode. You could press the accelerator to a stop for max EV acceleration, but then with more force it would go further and the engine would kick in.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
not having a governor fitted to all new vehicles makes a mockery of the governments "speed kills" narrative and they should have had them for years as the tech has been available for more than a decade.

Not only that these devices already exist in many heavy vehicles today.

Truth is they are addicted to the millions of dollars in revenue.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Speed kills is a convenient truth that unfortunately only tells a small part of the story. The only time speed isn't factor is when the car is stationary and a crane drops something on top of it or a case of spontaneous combustion. If you want to argue semantics, speed doesn't kill either, it's the rate of rapid deceleration that is the killer....

The real killers are,

A lack of skill
Poor concentration/distractions
Use of mind altering substances
Mechanical
Medical

Fact is, until you can take out the human element you will never stop genuine accidents but in my opinion genuine accidents are few and far in between.

I don't consider a motor vehicle accident that includes a driver using a forbidden substance as an accident when the accident is a direct result of a concious decision the driver made earlier in the night (that is to use drugs or alcohol before choosing to drive). In my eyes a accident resulting in serious injury or loss of life due to the use of drugs or alcohol should be a mandatory murder/manslaughter charge.

I know that the NZ government is now going towards the Swedish model where it is accepted that road accidents will occur and instead of trying to reduce the number of accidents they are trying to reduce the severity because of the human element and the simple fact is that people make mistakes and the aim is simply to minimise the damage/injuries when said mistakes are made.

I love driving but what we do around the city isn't driving, it's an exercise in frustration and quiet frankly if you can even achieve reaching the set speed limit it's a minor achievement because traffic congestion is so bad it's beyond a joke and getting worse by the week.

The funny thing is 112mph is 180km/h. Still more than enough speed to kill yourself!

Something else that is really burning my wick is the lack of speed signs, now around here there is only 1 speed sign as you enter a different speed zone. Quiet often the change of speed zone is at an intersection or somewhere else where you are busy looking at traffic/lights etc to be on the lookout for a speed sign. I know on a number of occasions I've missed a speed sign and I'm wondering what the set speed limit is.

/end rant.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@immortality, just be mindful of getting ancestry DNA tests, registering for organ donation and then driving an autonomous vehicle... you may wake up after a crash missing a kidney :eek: SyFy film plots coming true :p

Oh, and Ralph Nader considered crash as a more appropriate term than accident as it’s an avoidable occurrence...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I have never called them accidents, they are crashes or incidents. An accident is a random act that can't be prevented. Motor vehicle crashes are not random acts, they involve a cause.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
An accident is defined by intent and results in damage or injury, it is always an incident. An incident is not always an accident, i.e my computer blue screened so I rebooted it. Ralph Nader is just being indignant