Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big Cam advice

DazzaMang

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Utility Bench Flr. Manual Ecotec
G’day legends,

I’ve got an ecotec VS ute that I want to look at big camming in the future. I’m new to modding so I’ve got a lot to learn. For upsizing the cam, can I just slide the new shaft in? or are there other things I need to do? (ie: something to do with air intakes, exhaust upgrade? etc)

Cheets

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Tuning being the main one, but yes, exhaust and intake if you don't want to choke it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
And with a big cam goes valve springs, probably better lifters (maybe solid), double row timing chain etc etc etc

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
And with a big cam goes valve springs, probably better lifters (maybe solid), double row timing chain etc etc etc
X2 on this, I've only got 1.9s but the amount of things that were upset on the old engine, since fitting them has cost me over $2000 so far. It will be another $2000 by the time its working properly. You need deep pockets, as fitting a cam is one thing, having it work properly is another.

Reactions: Lex

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
X2 on this, I've only got 1.9s but the amount of things that were upset on the old engine, since fitting them has cost me over $2000 so far. It will be another $2000 by the time its working properly. You need deep pockets, as fitting a cam is one thing, having it work properly is another.
Really? I put a set of 1.9 ratio rockers on my old ecotec and was good as is no further parts needed

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Really? I put a set of 1.9 ratio rockers on my old ecotec and was good as is no further parts needed
Mine, needed a chain and gears straight away, now it needs new springs as they are not up to the extra lift.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
must of been getting worn anyway and the rockers made it worse

Yep, the rockers made a problem come to life, which would have eventually became a problem anyway. Similar to my valve springs. The problem is only an issue now with my rockers but only on high revs. Point is that even Ecos are getting high in mileage these days and fitting high performance parts can open a can of worms that with everything stock would not normally be too much of a problem.