Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big Dirty Rims

ducatis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
The only probs would be with insurance..or theives( get two sets of lock nuts )
I beleive you can only go 2" above factory.

mate id be getting 5 sets of locknuts ;) im going to go anf find out of an engineer how hard it would be to get engineered and if its too much hassle ill probly just go 18's, anyone had any experience with 19's or 20's?

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
hym i put up a post last nite but doesnt seem to be here ,

anyhow get urself a tyre placard off ebay too say 18'' then u should be fine if the 2'' applys u can go 20''? an tell insurance u can 2 2'' more ?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
gettin a placard of ebay n stickin it on is not a great idea...
Caus if u get pulled up buy a copper who knows his stuff (Rare but it happens) you better grab the vasoline and lub up!

I got 19's and copper really don't care about rim size from my experience...
They just check to see if its rubbing anywhere and thats about it.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
gettin a placard of ebay n stickin it on is not a great idea...
Caus if u get pulled up buy a copper who knows his stuff (Rare but it happens) you better grab the vasoline and lub up!

I got 19's and copper really don't care about rim size from my experience...
They just check to see if its rubbing anywhere and thats about it.

well my VT was an exec coming out the factory and it had a 17" tyre placard on the drivers door from the day it rolled out so its not uncommon to see them done although there are a lot of shady ones that ppl buy from ebay and stick on.

cop thought he would be smart and tell me i stuck it on although i was only running 17s so still legal. he put a yellow lickie on my car, i got a letter from holden saying it was on from factory and 1 week later got a letter from police with an apology and also asking me to go down to take the yellow lickie off :yeah:

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Like i said before, Insurance or theives..
Dont worry about cops whats a small fine compared to an insurance
company saying they wont pay you out on a write off because you were
rolling on 20" wheels.....

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Like i said before, Insurance or theives..
Dont worry about cops whats a small fine compared to an insurance
company saying they wont pay you out on a write off because you were
rolling on 20" wheels.....

Exactly. Its like $22 here in SA to get the defect off, thats pittance. But having your car in an accident then having your insurance voided because of the size of your wheels...THAT is something to actually care about.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
exact same rims but i want mine is 18" i wanna know the same thing what i have to do to get mine to work

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Ladies & Gents

All this talk about tyre height, but no discussion on tyre width..

My mate has a VT calais, and hes bought some 18" rims, and wants to know if anyone has had problems with 245 scrubing the inner wheel arches? he hasnt lowered it yet, but any help would be appreicated whether yours is lowered or standard height with rubber 245 or wider =)

Cheers :thumbsup:

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Ladies & Gents

All this talk about tyre height, but no discussion on tyre width..

My mate has a VT calais, and hes bought some 18" rims, and wants to know if anyone has had problems with 245 scrubing the inner wheel arches? he hasnt lowered it yet, but any help would be appreicated whether yours is lowered or standard height with rubber 245 or wider =)

Cheers :thumbsup:
my r8 has 18s as stasndard with Bridgestone 245/40/R18 and no scrubbing at all....isnt lowered yet but the arse off mine sits a little lower than standard now due to dynamat all over boot, my subs and amps recently put in, etc

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I've got a 19" set of those on my VT. Amazing increase in handling over stock sizes (they're much wider) plus I think they look sexy ;) Get a lot of Commy owners checking them out at the lights (I assume they're thinking nice things!)

If you go to Tempe Tyres (where I got mine) you'll be able to get the price down a bit. You should be able to get a set for $2000 or less.

Oh and no problems with scraping etc, although thats on stock suspension/springs. If you think you might have problems go to a real suspension mechanic (ie. NOT a rim shop) with the dimensions and get their opinion

Last edited: