Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big stereo is it really worth it?

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
if you dont like your $3800 stereo I'll gladly take it and rid you of the burden ;)

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
since when is $3800 a big stereo? if you can buy all components, wiring and fittings for $3800... im sure thats on the light side compared to many people on the site.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
You probably got huge ass subs and run shitty DOOF DOOF music and high wattage speakers....yeah thats one way u can make a sound system, its popular with the VN's in auburn and granville.

Or you can simply buy less powerful, premium high quality speakers and skip the sub. Good amped 6x9s in the parcel shelf deliver crisp bass without rattling your car apart. Enjoy clear, crisp sound at bearable volumes.
My drivers window does rattle when the volumes up. i think its the door rod. I'll have to check it out sometime. Part from that my system doesnt really rattle my car

GILLO

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Berlina
i brought it for myself not for everyone else to hear.... I could of brought an ss with the stereo money on top of what i payed for my car.
ffs people stop saying you brought stuff. It is bought!! It just as bad as saying "i brang something".
And to answer the original question, in my opinion it is not worth spending 4 grand on an audio system. Its just a stupid waste of money. Just my opinion. Couple of hundred suits me just fine. Put the money towards a mortgage or save it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
most "big systems" actually sound **** cause its just rushed and not set up correctly and the right products chosen
price has nothing to do with a "big" system Ive seen 5k systems sound like mud
personally quality over quantity or in my case both:)
sounds like you either have a loud crap system thats not enjoyable to listen to up loud
I'm with 2loud2old if its not pleasurable turn it down/off or think about a new setup

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
Sometimes less is more. I play in a band with friends, and sometimes less of a wall of sound does more for the overall sound.
I have amped splits in the front doors + 6x9 in shelf, and had rear door speakers running off the HU still. I decided to take them out, fully aware that there would be less sound, but it sound far clearer and better, if a little quieter

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh and depends on what music too, i listen to a variety of music from rock to dance, rnb, etc and mine will sound better with say rock at a certain level, nice clean base and then will sound **** with some rnb songs, will be almost tiny type bass and then nice clean base with dance songs

and its just standard front and rear door speakers of a pioneer head unit with a single 12" alpine s-type off a pioneer amp, i know its a cheap system and thrown together quick as it was an old sub i had lying around and ebay amp, but does the job fine and when i go to the drive-ins i have no problems either its nice and clean, but will upgrade to a nice set of splits front and rear doors amped and maybe get a better amp for the sub, but thats all you need and i'll do that for under $1,000 and get the dyna mat for the doors and boot, but thats only to keep sound in, but you don't need to spend $3,800 unless you want a kick ass show of style stereo.

a guy i worked with just had standard front speakers in his vr commy and a single 10" pioneer sub and a cheap amp, sounds tough as, can hear it from a mile away and cost him $500 all up and just pure base the whole time but still clear.

jasevt

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 vt 50th anniversary s1
I have 2 alpine amps, one 1000 watt for 12" sub (using about a quater of its power) another can't remember lol it's around 400 watts running 2 way 6 by 9 in the parcel shelf and 3 way 6" splits in the front all alpine type-s speakers. Except the sub i blew it up and replaced it with sony x-plode and hooked up a capicator for it, not because it was turned up but cause they hooked it up wrong. It sounds great what ever music you throw at it, and i'm not a DOOF DOOF fan as cewing quoted before, the only time i listen to that is when the misses is in the car, apparently i don't have a say in it lol

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh i put 2 x sony x-plod subs 12" in my first car, worst subs iv ever had, were the worst sound, sold them same day to a mate and bought pioneer 12" subs, sounded heaps better, they might have changed now and be alot better these days.