Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big water leak

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
Major headache. I changed the water pump and failed tensioner yesterday and now the car has a massive water leak coming from what seems to be that area but I can't figure out where. The tensioner seems fine and I took the front off the pump and I'm almost 100% sure it's ok. I was very careful in scraping off the old gasket and used RTV sealant on all. The GMB pump came with two gaskets but I only used one. Should I have used both? while I was at it decided it would be a good thing to nip up the bolts I could reach on the inlet manifold that I just changed recently. Do you think this would have done anything?

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Major headache. I changed the water pump and failed tensioner yesterday and now the car has a massive water leak coming from what seems to be that area but I can't figure out where. The tensioner seems fine and I took the front off the pump and I'm almost 100% sure it's ok. I was very careful in scraping off the old gasket and used RTV sealant on all. The GMB pump came with two gaskets but I only used one. Should I have used both? while I was at it decided it would be a good thing to nip up the bolts I could reach on the inlet manifold that I just changed recently. Do you think this would have done anything?
Seems logical if you changed the pump and only now it’s leaking, that you might have to change the gasket again and ask the question about using the two gaskets provided. Good luck.

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
I think the two gaskets is for earlier models. I was so careful removing the old gaskets, scraped it clean gave it a light sand, used RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket, let it sit for a while. But yea might have to take a look. :(

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I think the two gaskets is for earlier models. I was so careful removing the old gaskets, scraped it clean gave it a light sand, used RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket, let it sit for a while. But yea might have to take a look. :(
I know gaskets can be a bugger if you don’t keep those surfaces completely flat and clean, and just the smallest of scratches on a surface can bugger it up. Also when tightening up nuts bolts whatever, make sure you do them evenly, and if there is a particular torque setting be mindful.

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
I found the leak! It's from the dreaded pipe that passes through the tensioner. I was told to put a little bit of sealant on that o ring which I did but it didn't work. It was hard to see as it wasn't flowing through the tensioner and out where the hose attaches, but heading straight down the front of the motor. That gave me grief last time

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I found the leak! It's from the dreaded pipe that passes through the tensioner. I was told to put a little bit of sealant on that o ring which I did but it didn't work. It was hard to see as it wasn't flowing through the tensioner and out where the hose attaches, but heading straight down the front of the motor. That gave me grief last time
Good, at least you know where it’s leaking. Now go fix it:)

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
Ok I've got it all apart again and i have one shot at this using the old o ring which is still ok. Should I use a bit of RTV with the lube when I put the pipe in. The new o ring was completely stuffed when I pulled it out, must have shoved it in too hard, but it felt like it went in nicely. i read plumbers tape around the o ring would work?

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Use a brush of some sort to clean out the bore where the O ring goes in and lubricate the O ring before fitting with something like vaseline.

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
QWs
Use a brush of some sort to clean out the bore where the O ring goes in and lubricate the O ring before fitting with something like vaseline.

Was just about to post this... Found an old thread, make sure you lube the o ring. another thing i read was to put the bolts back into the tensioner and place the pipe bracket in then install it. The pipe won't go in too far then.

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
I did that job start of this year don't re use the oring just go to Holden pick up a set for about 20 bucks. I don't have the part number on hand but if you go to them with the VIN they will have them. I didn't even have to hand over my VIN the front desk knew the part off the top of their head very common part.