Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big water leak

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
New pump. Check my thread a few others had same issues with GMB pumps. They are no good.
I'm reading your thread now. We are going through the same rubbish with items that look good but are flawed. I was happy with the cast impeller on the GMB as opposed to my old plate impeller. When I pulled the old one off it wasn't too bad and is at least 200k kays old. Might just put it back.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Loosen off the bolts and tap the pulley over to center it. There should be some play in the bolt holes. If that doesn't work, remove the pulley and rotate it 90° on the mounting plate and try again.

I've got a GMB pump on our Calais and it is fine, been on there a couple of years. Losh just had the worst luck with his old bus.

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
I used a GMB on mine when I did all the work to my car. Touch wood haven't had any issues, looked perfectly fine to me? BUT, in saying that I probably wouldn't get one again, I only got a GMB because I assumed it was Japan quality still, apparently not the case anymore but regardless I used it since I had It.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Have a close look at the flange on the pump shaft. There's a small detent bump that locates in a hole on the pulley.
Some dont have it, some do. If the detent bump doesn't line up, use the shim to space the pulley out a bit.
There's also a thread on here I started when i replaced the pump on my VX. Replaced the original (bearing shot) with a Gates one. That lasted only a short while when it started leaking out of the drain hole. SuperCheap refunded my $$. I then put a genuine one on. Only trouble is, it now takes a long time to warm up. Done all the things suggested in the thread. It is better but still takes a long time to warm up. Better than the Gates pump though, that used to run too hot.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep gen pump is the go and AFAIK they are one of the few factory parts still available.

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
I used a protex gold pump which was actually a gmb pump and it has been fine for almost 4 years now. From memory I think it said it was made in japan don't know if that means it is good or not but you'd think it would be being made in japan.

Reactions: Lex