Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Biggest aftermarket wheel sizes for a VF Commodore.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Don't forget tyre compound. A lot of people fitting more performancey wheels are likely to also be fitting more performancey tyres, which wear out more quickly (a statement which I realise is only true maybe 99% of the time).
Now I've said that I'll be interested to see how the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's go on the SSVR, the factory tyres only lasted about 30k kms with factory-everything, and the better-half (who would've done about 28k kms of that) neither corners nor accelerates.
I have PS4S's on my 17 Redline, the wear on my looked after but driven as intended car was interesting, the rears were even nicely across the 275, however the fronts not so much. So far, I have found the difference being, better rear grip everywhere, on wet, dry, dusty uneven surfaces, and the front bite is instant. So far I feel the 19's are happiest at around 38 psi, (or 262kpa for the cool kids.) and I got them on special so, worked out cheaper than the OEM Re050a's will be interesting to see if the wear better.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have PS4S's on my 17 Redline, the wear on my looked after but driven as intended car was interesting, the rears were even nicely across the 275, however the fronts not so much. So far, I have found the difference being, better rear grip everywhere, on wet, dry, dusty uneven surfaces, and the front bite is instant. So far I feel the 19's are happiest at around 38 psi, (or 262kpa for the cool kids.) and I got them on special so, worked out cheaper than the OEM Re050a's will be interesting to see if the wear better.

So how are your fronts actually wearing? A particular edge wearing more than the rest of the tyre?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I‘m not clutching at any straws, I’m just saying it’s best to go with what the manufacturer designed and tuned the suspension of the car to use.

The VF suspension geometry's the same from an Evoke to an HSV GTS. The Evoke's got 16" wheels offset +48 and the GTS has 20's offset +36. What's it tuned for, the 16" razor blades or the GTS wheels and tyres? There's in fact a range of wheel and tyre sizes that'll work efficiently with the same suspension geometry. I'd say that wheels and tyres outside the suspension geometry window on a Commodore wouldn't physically fit inside the guards.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
gone from on the limit 245/30 cheapies all round to PS4S 255-295/35 and ive noticed more grip and a bit of tracking, not heaps keen to skid it till the rains come back with the price of 'em though.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I've not noticed the standard 245's tramlining, surprised a jump to 255's introduced that. Standard offset at the front?

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I've not noticed the standard 245's tramlining, surprised a jump to 255's introduced that. Standard offset at the front?
gts wheels so half inch bigger in towards the car I assume with offsets changing to keep that outside face in the same line as stock 18s

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
gts wheels so half inch bigger in towards the car I assume with offsets changing to keep that outside face in the same line as stock 18s
The hsv VF's also have a bigger sidewall to the commodores with a 275/35 compared to the commodores 275/30

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I asked for 295/35 but they've gone and put 295/30 on the rear 9.5"s.

Don't particularly care as they are still fat

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
It's not the tyre size causing the car to tram line, it's the tyre brand/construction. Bridgestone S001 and S007A don't tram line with a 255, but the stock HSV Continental's tram line badly.