Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bigstu's vn calais 355

bigstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss,vn calais 355
Been thinking about starting a thread in here for a while and thought now I've started to pull the motor out getting ready for the new one I may as well post a couple of pics/info as I go for anyone that may be interested. The motor coming out is a cammed hsv185 motor that's been in there since I bought the car about 9 years ago and it has served me well.There's nothing really wrong with the 304 just a leaky rear main seal and lately a spark problem which I think is more related to wiring but I got sick of spending money chasing the spark/wiring problem when im getting a 355 built to go in anyway.
As I said the new motor is a hydro roller efi 355 which we started with a vs block and gone 30tho over and machined for a zero deck height. Im running a scat crank with chev journals ''6'' scat I beam rods and forged srp flat tops with valve reliefs. Also running arp main studs and a main cap girdle with a high energy sump ''pro street'' balancer and a areoflow h/d flexplate with arp bolts.Havent got all the info on the heads as they are still with the engine builder but they are vn cast heads that are machined for screw in studs and larger springs aswell as 2.02/1.60 stainless valves and some port work which I will post up more info on when I speak to the engine builder.not sure exactly what cam yet but is gunna be a hydro roller from camtech.Im going with a harrop single plane and 1000cfm throttle body and am looking into the haltech platinum but that could change yet.As I said I'll post up some more info as I get it cause at this stage I sorta just said to my engine builder ''I want it to make over 400rwhp through an auto'' and im just letting him do his thing and hopfully I end up with a pretty tuff engine.

Attachments

• before starting removal.jpg
    before starting removal.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 384
  • starting engine removal 2.jpg
    starting engine removal 2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 428
  • cruise 3.jpg
    cruise 3.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 475
  • sarting engine removel.jpg
    sarting engine removel.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:

Clayton355

Bring it on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vnss
Interested in this thread bud post up as u go with this sounds similer to my 355 but im running a carbed 355 in my vnss and with a manifold that was too big still managed 390rwhp and now going harrop single plane

carbie what carbie sir

bigstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss,vn calais 355
Yeah mate very similer to your setup with a couple of little differences like efi/roller cam I think that's it?...Just out of interest who built your motor clayton?.I'll keep posting as progress happens,At the moment im trying to get my hands on a engine crane while I got some time off work so I can get as much done as possible.I really want to clean up the engine bay aswell while the motors out.

bigstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss,vn calais 355
Just bought a engine crane this morning so hopefully this motor will be out soon.

Clayton355

Bring it on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vnss
Hey bud trapnellrace engines built mine
There is a few good engine builders around that will build a quaility engine these days

carbie what carbie sir

bigstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss,vn calais 355
Well we got the motor out this afternoon and everything went as planned and we didn't even have to remove the extractors,But now I got a bit of degreasing to do aswell as some tidying up of various bits and pieces.

Attachments

• engine is out.jpg
    engine is out.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 470
  • empty engine bay.jpg
    empty engine bay.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 496
  • engine on stand.jpg
    engine on stand.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 473

bigstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss,vn calais 355
Motor goes in tomorrow for assembly to begin, My engine builder says he is really busy at the moment but he hopes to get it back to me before xmas,So hopefully if all goes well I should have it in the car early next year.

bigstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss,vn calais 355
Well while ive been waiting for the motor to be finished I decided to put some different wheels on and i got these 19's pretty cheap,I reckon they suit the car and look better then the 17's I had on there so they will do for now and I might still change them again once car is up and running.

Attachments

• vn ''19'' wheels.jpg
    vn ''19'' wheels.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 433
  • vn''19''wheels 3.jpg
    vn''19''wheels 3.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 402
  • vn''19'' wheels 2.jpg
    vn''19'' wheels 2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 408

Demonica

Donating Member