Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bigstu's vn calais 355

bigstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss,vn calais 355
ok another update,I got the Calais back from the dyno and am happy with the tune at the moment I didn't hit the power figure I was after but I still have to get another tune soon once a few issues are sorted. The single 3'' exhaust is extremely restrictive and the tuner recommended a twin 3'' from the collectors back so that's the first thing to sort once ive got the fuel cell mounted in the boot.And the other thing is the stall converter is not suited at all obviously its losing a fair bit of power through that alone as its just flashing up everywhere at the moment so ill get one built for it soon.All these things will happen once the bank account recovers a bit lol.So ive put up a pic of the dyno chart so you can see the power curve which im happy with,the tuner ended up turning it off right before the limiter @6800RPM which you can see there,he rekons we could've got a little more out of it as its still climbing but we don't wanna rev it that hard and being a street car still 6800rpm rev limiter is plenty,So the plan now is sort this issues out and then decied wether to change manifold and camshaft and continue on chasing 400rwhp or just concentrate on the next motor for the 400+hp either way I think this is still fun enough for the street at the moment vn 355 dyno sheet.jpg

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Woo hoo. Not a bad figure. Should be interesting once you sort all the issues out.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Good work Stu, Almost hit the 350rwhp mark.
What spec is your exhaust at the moment?
Possibly: Extractors -> Y-pipe (2.25" or 2.5") -> single 3" ,centre, tail muffler?

bigstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss,vn calais 355
At the moment its got tri y pacemakers twin 2.5'' hi flow cats into single 3'' centre muffler .....so we're cutting the extractors at the merge pipe so we can go 3'' collectors twin 3'' cats and twin hooker areo chamber mufflers but first ive gotta get this fuel cell mounted in the boot.
Good work Stu, Almost hit the 350rwhp mark.
What spec is your exhaust at the moment?
Possibly: Extractors -> Y-pipe (2.25" or 2.5") -> single 3" ,centre, tail muffler?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
At the moment its got tri y pacemakers twin 2.5'' hi flow cats into single 3'' centre muffler .....so we're cutting the extractors at the merge pipe so we can go 3'' collectors twin 3'' cats and twin hooker areo chamber mufflers but first ive gotta get this fuel cell mounted in the boot.

You think you could find 2&3/4" pipe? Twin system from that should be good for 550ish-600ish engine HP.
I know Hooker Aero chambers are good for 440hp each (from memory). So twin of them should be plenty (they sound awesome too)

If you merge after the mufflers to a single tail pipe, 3.75" may be big enough for you. 4" definitely will (good for over 600hp)

Any idea what HP your cats are rated too each? (other option is to move to NZ and bin the cats altogether :) )

bigstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss,vn calais 355
I probably should just scrap the cats all together cause nothing else on the car is legal ....quick question for you deuce will my single external 044 be enough to suck fuel through the 2L surge tank and from the cell or should I run a low pressure pump in between the cell and surge tank? cause at the moment im running the standard intank pump as a lift pump to the surge tank and then the 044 pump between the surge tank and the fuel rails.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I'm not an expert with fuel pumps and systems sorry mate.
Ask a question in the tech section for a good discussion.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Don't scrap your cats btw.
I've heard the fines are quite big for not having them.
Unless you are building a track only car, and they aren't required for your class.