Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Billet wheel nuts?

impulsed_sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey guys I'm gonna be making my own billet wheel nuts just as sumthing to do just wondering does anyone know the angle of the chamfer on the wheel nut on a vz commodore
If these nut are successful I will upload a pik of my prototype today if I get a chance to machine it
Will be made of high quality stainless

Thoughts please

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I think you will run into trouble using stainless steel for wheel nuts because the threads will probably weld together so you cant get the nut off. Early commodores were bad for this because the tapered part of the nut would compress slightly when the nut was tightened, which made the nut tight on the thread so it heated up and the threads welded together. Stainless nuts and bolts are more inclined to weld together than hardened steel ones.
Easiest way to find the angle of the taper would be to take a wheel nut off and measure it.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I had to put a set of tyres on a Porsche 911 years ago. The factory wheel nuts were made from aluminium that had been anodized. I was vary cautious when tightening them back up but didnt have any problems with them.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
run some nickel anti seize if youre worried about them seizing

Got seized nuts try some loctite freeze and release