Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bilstein shocks

Gorrell72

Reaction score
Members Ride
my09.5 SS
ok so was talking to a bloke from bilstein today about my shocks and he said they use the standard body and just replace all the internals and that the standard shock body had to be cut and have a collar welded on

is this right i thought for the price you pay it would be a completly new shock not a chopped standard one?

quotes were 680 for rear pair and 680 for front pair and 44 for each collar to be welded on

i can get a complete set of king springs and monroe shorty shocks for 680

any thoughts?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
hmmm.. you can order the whole unit. Flick Greg a PM to confirm.

The B8 is a short-body shock - so no cut and shut.

edit. For VE the bilstein is an insert, apparently - so runs though the modified stocky, same as Koni. I was wrong.

Last edited:

Gorrell72

Reaction score
Members Ride
my09.5 SS
plz tell me more about this b8 shorty shock it is blistien?

Gorrell72

Reaction score
Members Ride
my09.5 SS
Ah sweet r you currently running these if so what did you pay for them if you don't mind me asking

And r they a derect fit up ( no chopping )

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
ok so was talking to a bloke from bilstein today about my shocks and he said they use the standard body and just replace all the internals and that the standard shock body had to be cut and have a collar welded on
Correct. Both Koni and Bilstein to suit Commodore are an insert style of shock. The Koni bolt through the bottom, the Bilstein have that collar welded on.

is this right i thought for the price you pay it would be a completly new shock not a chopped standard one?
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you think that price is expensive because it's not a full strut, then you're seriously underestimating how good a shock the Bilstein is. It's a full monotube, inverted style of shock. To go up from that you'd need to spend $4-$5k on something like DMS or Ohlins.

quotes were 680 for rear pair and 680 for front pair and 44 for each collar to be welded on
Our price is $700 for the front pair, and $618 for the rear pair, and include the collars.

i can get a complete set of king springs and monroe shorty shocks for 680
If you're just after a basic street package then we recommend Boge and Kings, which as a package deal is $695 for both, and WELL worth the $15 over the Monroe. See here:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/gsl-rallysport/84366-kyb-kings-commodore-lowering-packages.html

Any questions at all feel free to drop me a PM or give us a bell on 1300 884 836.

Regards,
Greg

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Doesn't put me off them in the slightest though.
Exactly right mate! ;)

If that exact same damper was in a threaded strut body and had a couple of spring seats and a strut top on it, and labelled a 'coilover' the asking price would be $3k. The B8, dollar for dollar, would be the cheapest suspension upgrade possible!

Hardest part is trying to tell that to the ebay'ers of the world who are fixated on buying crappy anodized rubbish...

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
So who welds the collars on for ya ?

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Interesting thread. Being a new owner of a S2 SSV my only "real" gripe would be the shocks. The car bounces around like the rebound dampening doesn't exist and gives the driver a feeling of unbalanced handling.
If this can be sorted for 1300 bucks, where do I sign???