Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bin Boom Box

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Shouldn't the battery be well ventialted if your constantly charging it?

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Make sure you have a way to easily charge the battery without removing it.
Apart from that, its a ****ing random idea.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Or you could use a terminal block, just depends on how many things you connecting.
That should be easier, ill decide when im buying the cables and that
I said on top of the box, not on top of the bin. Make the bottom (1/4 - 1/3 or so) of the bin into a box for the sub, then battery on the box in a cradle. Then you don't have to reach to the bottom of the bin to get to the battery either.

100 ring terminals? 2 amps and a head unit... That's 3 cables per post or is there more?
the sub will be in the middle of one side of the bin, the battery wont need to be changed or removed unless it shits itself as it will have a charger on the outside

umm, there is one of those 3 12v ciggy lighter sockets with a USB charger off ebay, 2 amps, HU, charger cable, thats it for now.
Shouldn't the battery be well ventialted if your constantly charging it?
good idea, how about in my battery box, with a hose to the side of the bin, hole cut in the side with mesh on it.
Make sure you have a way to easily charge the battery without removing it.
Apart from that, its a ****ing random idea.
Itll have a charger attached to it perminantly, with the charger bit on the outside under the amps with the cables running inside it, all the cables leading to the outside will be as short as possible and the hole they went through siliconed up.

It is a really random idea but i have all this gear and nothing to do with it so i might as well do this, and since im a venturer (scout, but the next level up for 15-18yo) itll be going on camps, beats the logitec speakers we usually take

Now, on another point, i had an idea, which one of these will be best, sound wise?

Speakerwiresavingidea.jpg

EDIT:

I updated the wiring diagram

BinBox.jpg

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Diagram 1, 2, and 3 does not matter. It won't make a difference how much wire you use.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Diagram 1, 2, and 3 does not matter. It won't make a difference how much wire you use.

SO they will all do the exact same, no loss of power or anything.

I was looking over one of my 6x9's and it says 4ohm on it... Meaning it can still be used?

And i also found this, little bit of a disappointment:

Wheelie_bin.jpg

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
the sub will be in the middle of one side of the bin
No worries, mate. But a sub mounted in the side of a wheelie bin without a proper enclosure will sound shithouse. The pressure from the sub is going to be trying to get out every opening, including around the head unit, out the lid, and through the other speakers. The sub will cause the 6x9's to distort and sound **** too.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
No worries, mate. But a sub mounted in the side of a wheelie bin without a proper enclosure will sound shithouse. The pressure from the sub is going to be trying to get out every opening, including around the head unit, out the lid, and through the other speakers. The sub will cause the 6x9's to distort and sound **** too.

Yeah, i see what you mean.,.

OK, new plan, On the wheel side (which i will call the back) will be the control switches, most probably the head unit, the charger and the ciggy lighter. On the front (opposite side of the wheels) i put the sub down the bottom and enclose it, put the amps above that (Side by side) and and 6x9's on either side, would probably look better as well...

SO do you recon for the enclosure, i cut out a piece of MDF as close to the size required, put it in the bin with some legs to hold it up (maybe) and silicone around it?

EDIT:

Here is the first proposition for positioning:

Positioning.jpg

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
All your speakers will say 4 ohm, and yes they are fine.

If you want to do this properly, even though it is a bit of a laugh, you really need a second wheelie bin. (Surround sound = 5.1 wheelie bins FTW!!)

Kidding, but seriously get a second bin, and a second sub. You can get those Fusion En's new for like 70 bucks, maybe even less, if you tell them your actually putting it an a bin where it belongs haha.
You have 2 x 3300T amps yes? Well, use one for each sub. That will give you 150 rms going into each sub.

So each bin will house a 12 inch sub, and a pair of 6x9's.

Run the speakers high pass off the head unit's 4 channels. This way you will atleast achieve some sort of sound stage. And if you build the enlcosure correctly in the bin, it may sound ok once it's all done.

But like it's been said earlier, you must seal each speaker, sub ect off from each other, or it will sound shithouse to say the least. Even if you just make some simple sealed MDF enclosures that fit in the dimensions of the bin, and line up with the cutout's through the bin for your speakers.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
All your speakers will say 4 ohm, and yes they are fine.

If you want to do this properly, even though it is a bit of a laugh, you really need a second wheelie bin. (Surround sound = 5.1 wheelie bins FTW!!)

Kidding, but seriously get a second bin, and a second sub. You can get those Fusion En's new for like 70 bucks, maybe even less, if you tell them your actually putting it an a bin where it belongs haha.
You have 2 x 3300T amps yes? Well, use one for each sub. That will give you 150 rms going into each sub.

So each bin will house a 12 inch sub, and a pair of 6x9's.

Run the speakers high pass off the head unit's 4 channels. This way you will atleast achieve some sort of sound stage. And if you build the enlcosure correctly in the bin, it may sound ok once it's all done.

But like it's been said earlier, you must seal each speaker, sub ect off from each other, or it will sound shithouse to say the least. Even if you just make some simple sealed MDF enclosures that fit in the dimensions of the bin, and line up with the cutout's through the bin for your speakers.

Stuff the second one.. Ill just run 2.1 in 1 bin...

IM thinking of running 2 batterys, big ass ones as well.

What sort of charger should i get as well, im looking on eBay right now. I can get an 8A one for $125 posted or a 16A one for $170 posted, they are Projecta Pro-Charge 6-stage ones

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
A second battery won't be of any use.

You can't run 2 subs in the one bin. Well you could, but the enlcosure space would most likely be too small to offer any decent performance out of your sub. Let alone leave you any space for anything thing else you plan to fit aswell.

Also you won't get any left//right. That's fine if your not fussed, but if you consider what i said, with a bit knowledge and DIY skills, you could possibly build something that sounds half decent.

Just don't wheel the wrong bin out late Tuesday night