Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Birdie's Boot Install

Discussion in 'Car Audio' started by Birdie, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Birdie

Birdie Guest

Hey all,

Me and my mate have started on my boot install for the VS SS.

Pic 1 - Basic bare boot

Stereo system will consist of -

JVC KD-S785 Mp3 Head Unit

Boston Audio FS60 Front splits
    Kicker EX60 Rear Coaxials

2 x EclipseSW6122.4 12" Subwoofers

Eclipse EA3422 4/3/2 Channel Amplifier (power front splits and rear coaxials)

Cutting Edge Audio CE400M 550w RMS Amplifier (power 2 x 12" Eclipse Subs).

Tell me what ya's think.

Cheers,

Birdie

2. Birdie

Birdie Guest

Stage 2

Hi Again,

Here is Stage 2 of my boot install. Here you will see that the false floor has been installed. Basically it was just a matter of cutting a rought pattern out and securing them to the original floor with liquid nails. This floor will be the platform for the Eclipse EA3422 Amp and the Cutting Edge Audio CE400M Amp.

more pics to come.

Thanks,

Birdie.

3. Birdie

Birdie Guest

Stage 3

Hi,

This brings us to Stage 3 of the boot install. Here we have cut out a template for the side boards to contour with the shape of the boot. Then once the MDF was cut it was a matter of carpeting and installing. Didnt come out to bad i thought.

Cheers,

Birdie.

4. Birdie

Birdie Guest

Stage Four

Now its starting to come together.

Stage four see's the subwoofer box made and fitted for now (will be taken out again to install the subs). Sub box is fully custom made and air tight.

Tell me what you think of the progress so far.

Thanks,

Birdie.

p.s - Anybody know where i can get some cheap 10mm glass or even free offcuts? running out of funds.

5. Gobbles

Gobbles New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim Series II
    that really is some nice work i was looking at my boot today thinking about how i would work it i decided on a floor on the bottom very similiar style to yours really....
    how did you make the curved bits so accurate

6. Birdie

Birdie Guest

Thanks Gobbles, Its nice to hear someone praising your work. To get the side boards so accurate we just used cardboard to make a template. When the cardboard was flush we traced it onto MDF and went from their. Its requires a bit of patience but once you get the templates its pretty easy.

7. Gobbles

Gobbles New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim Series II
    ahh cardboard of course...that would have made the job so much more simpler...i think while im without a license i will get all the stuff from work i need and just work on it in my spare time....$18 for a jigsaw - staff discount cant go wrong

8. PIMPIN

PIMPIN The Lurker

Members Ride:
    VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
    Looking good birdie Can't wait to see it finished Then I can steal some of your ideas!

9. Birdie

Birdie Guest

Stage Five.

Subs are in! They look unreal. Its all starting to look sweet now. All cables have been laid so it wont be long till its all finished.

Cheers,

Birdie.

10. Birdie

Birdie Guest

Hey guys,

Boot install is finally complete and looks pretty sweet. Im pretty proud of how it turned out especially since me and a mate did it ourselves. Tell me what you guys think and i dont mind any suggestions or critics on the work it will only help for next time. Anyways thanks again and if anyone has any questions about the install please dont hesitate to ask.

Birdie.

11. The1985divo

The1985divo Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V
    Really great work there..... how come you have two diffrent type amps, also should put sum little speky neons under the glass/plastic o light it up....yer might be rice but it for the stereo not the car lol

12. Troy711

Troy711 Retired Old Fart Staff Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
    gotta say, really nice result mate. if i had a sedan thats what sort of install i would like. its neat and you still have room to throw the shopping in!

13. The1985divo

The1985divo Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V
    just thinking....how do the amps breath if there in a box?

14. Birdie

Birdie Guest

Heres a close-up.

Birdie.

15. lairdy

lairdy Guest

QUOTE (Salem @ Apr 17 2004, 01:48 PM) just thinking....how do the amps breath if there in a box?
    Might be wrong but are those vents or fans on the side???
    If so do they let the amp's breath enough or do they warm up, thinking of a similar install for myself. Looks sweet by the way!

16. Birdie

Birdie Guest

Hey guys,

Tha amps breathe easy because i have 2 fans included in the install. I fan extracts while the other blows fresh air so they circulate. I have 2 different amps because they both power different things. The Cutting Edge amp was suited for the subs while the Eclipse was better for the splits/mid range.

Thanks for the positive feedbanck too.

Birdie.

17. xstatic

xstatic New Member

Members Ride:
    vt gen 3 berlina
    sorry if this makes no sense but i reckon it would look alot better if your carpeted the sides of the boot so the boot is all 1 shade of carpet.

cheers

scott