Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bit of a different question! Vs fuel tanks/lines.

thesweetpuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore Executive
Hey guys got a bit of a little problem with the old 1995 vs v6, took it upto the servo and pumped about $90 of premium 98 in the tank no dramas (first time actually filling the thing up the whole way) , screwed the fuel cap on and heard a bit of a dripping noise, looked under the car and to my shock about 2-3 litres of petrol is sitting on the ground just dripping from somewhere in the rear of my commy, it shortly stopped after flowing that bit onto the ground but i can't leave this the way it is, is there somebody around that can point me to where to start looking and what to look for ?

The tyres on the back have about reached that point where i go pop em, but im ####ing horrified at the thought of doing so and having a few sparks flick up and the old rig just light up :lock:

any help much appreciated!

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Maybe there's a leak where the piping/hoses connect to the fuel sender.
Or the o ring that seals the fuel sender assembly has perished.
So, if you filled it right up the neck of the tank, (not recommended and that's the highest point of the tank),
maybe it's drained the neck through one of those locations.
I'm not sure if the carbon canister and the fuel filter are above the top of the filler neck.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The breather lines will be perished. You need to remove the rear wheel and the guard at the back of the rear wheel well and then you will be able to see where all the breather lines sit. There are 2 small lines that go back into the top of the tank to the side of where the main fuel filler line comes into the tank, it's most likely that one of those smaller hoses has perished to the point of leaking. I've had this happen, it's a shock for sure when you fill the car and suddenly end up with a large puddle of fuel under the rear of the car.

And a pic for reference.

150923d1350170096-vs-5l-fuel-tank-breather-hoses-vs-sedan-fuel-tank.jpg

thesweetpuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore Executive
Cheers for the quick reply the both of you, im pretty new to all this sort of stuff and still getting my bearings on a lot of things. Immortality - i've taken the wheel and guard off and see the 2 lines your talking about and one's depicted in that awesome diagram you've put up there, now as i said im no mechanic but where it was dripping from did seem to be up around the area where the fuel feed and return line's either ran or connected to the tank by the looks of that picture.

i'm not one usually to fill it right up but i was running a bit of injector cleaner through so i thought i might aswell get her to the top, but i will take that into account aswell.

i think im going to start by replacing these 2 lines, fill it back up again and see where its at, is it much of a job do you guys think ? and how would i go about doing so if anybody could give me a few pointers that'd be greatly appreciated :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If it seems to be leaking from fuel sender than consider replacing the seal there first. The thing is, if it is leaking from there I would have expected a lot more fuel to have leaked as the sender is on the side of the tank where as the hoses I suggested are more at the top of the tank in the expansion area.