Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black 202 Valve stem seals change - advice

HoldenMad

Have spanner, can fix!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
I have smoke on engine start only.
Looking to change the valve stem seals. Any advice on techniques would be appreciated. Any tricks things to look out for?

Also how much cost am I looking at and how easy is the job with the head still fitted to the engine in the car?

Will I need a stem seal cahnge kit?

I have never done this job before, but have the trade skills and understanding to be capable of doing the job myself. I also want to save $$, as one place quoted me upwards of $1200 to do the job:ranting:

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
its a lot easier to do the job with the head off...
the seals come in a packet of 12, only a few bucks from motor traders...
pull the head off and use a valve spring compressor to take out your collets and retainers from the tops of the valves, then simpply replace the seal and assemble the same way you pulled it apart...
a lot cheaper than you were quoted, so most of that is labour...
you just need to by a VRS kit, or valve stem seals, rocker cover gasket, manifold gasket and head gasket...
i hope this has helped a bit...

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
Go getta fully recoed head set up 4 ULP/Gas.New Springs, Rockers, Guides & Valves etc.Set ya back around $500.Yep, pricey but ya get wat ya pay 4.You'll neva face the seats at the rite angles doing a backyard valve job + it will be a dead certainty your valve inserts would be hammered to buggery & therefore sh*thouse.I just payed for a fully recconed Black head.I haven't put it back on the block yet as I want ROLLERS...!!!

HoldenMad

Have spanner, can fix!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
if I went into motor traders or an auto shop, will they know what i'm talking about if I ask for a valve spring compressor?
I want to have the right tools for this job.

A-TEAM AUTOMOTIVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais 3.3 efi
how much better will a 202 run with the rollers ?

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
yep, im sure they'll know what a vavle spring compressor is, if not, they shouldn't be working there... Also remember, you'll need a torque wrench for the head...

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
I have a brand new set of seals that are yours if you like... won't even charge for postage, work will post for free :p

I did my seals not long ago with almost no knowledge of much at all... borrowed the spring compressor, bought a torque wrench from Bunnings, and a couple of wire brush attachments - did a valve regrind, removed all the carbon from the chambers and valves, put it all back together and it made only a slight difference to performance but economy was boosted.

It's a full weekend job - but you learn heaps doing it.

You'll need a VRS gasket set too - about $40 if you shop about (don't bother with Repco etc - go to your independent retailer).

Even buying ALL the tools you need, you can get this done for under $200.

KBone

Shaunoff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If you do decide to change the valve seals yourself, I recommend you take the head off because the valve guides are very fiddely and if one drops into a cylinder you'll have to take the head off anyway to get it out. Dip the new seals in some oil so they slide on easy. While the head is off you should get a wire brush bit for a drill and clean off the carbon build up. You can also spray it with some engine enamel (pressure pack) for a bit of colour.:)

HoldenMad

Have spanner, can fix!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
synoptica said:
I have a brand new set of seals that are yours if you like... won't even charge for postage, work will post for free :p

I did my seals not long ago with almost no knowledge of much at all... borrowed the spring compressor, bought a torque wrench from Bunnings, and a couple of wire brush attachments - did a valve regrind, removed all the carbon from the chambers and valves, put it all back together and it made only a slight difference to performance but economy was boosted.

It's a full weekend job - but you learn heaps doing it.

You'll need a VRS gasket set too - about $40 if you shop about (don't bother with Repco etc - go to your independent retailer).

Even buying ALL the tools you need, you can get this done for under $200.

PM sent :thumbsup:

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
A few weeks after I bought my car (over 2 years ago now) I took it to my uncle and he showed me how to do it, without removing the head.

All u need is a set of valve stem seals, a rocker cover gasket, a special home made tool (see below), and someway of filling ur chamber with air.

My uncle had a peice on the end of his air hose that he screwed into the spark plug hole then filled it with air (this keeps the valve from dropping).

The special tool is a piece of flatbar (not heaps thin, a little thick coz it needs to push the valve spring down), then bend it 3/4 of the way across to a 45degree angle (approx). Then drill a hole in the bend in the steel. This is for ur valve stem to go through.

Here's a diagram:
valvestemsealtoolfk7.jpg

Now here's wat ya do. Pull off ya rocker cover, remove rockers and pushrods. Then fill ur first cylinder with air. Now with the special took, you lever it on something and push it down...sry can't remember what it was levered on, I only saw it like 2 years ago and I didn't really take any notice lol. You push the long end down, and the short end should be against something (not sure wat), and the valve stem should be in the hole. Push down as hard as u can, then remove the 2 collets, then take ur old seal out and put the new one in, then the collets go back in, then carefully release the pressure on ur tool to bring the valve spring back up, then everything will go back into place. You then remove the gadget from the spark plug hole and move onto the next.

Me and my uncle both did it, I held the tool and pushed it down while my uncle did the rest, so having 2 people doing the job would be a must I'd say.

Overall, we had everything pulled down and back together in an hour or 2...wiith him teaching me stuff along the way.