Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] Black 304 rebuild advice

Pav

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS daily // V8 Hilux // Merc 190E
I am planning to take the motor out of the VK in a couple of months to do a basic rebuild (rings, bearings, gaskets, chain etc.) and I need some advice on the cam and heads. I don't really want to build a performance motor as I don't have the cash but would still like to replace the worn cam and tidy up the heads.
1. What cam should I get for a bit more power on a stock compression motor/heads with extractors and a usa single plane manifold?
2. Would I have to get the Q-jet re-tuned and the dizzy re-graphed?
3. How would a twin 2.25" exhaust system cope with this? Would it have enough backpressure?

As I said, this is a fairly budget rebuild and most of the cash is going towards getting the car running reliably.

Cheers

RVK 355

M0DERAT0R
Reaction score
Members Ride
The real R series 355
stock compresion and heads a single plain manifold will be way over kill.

for a pretty much stock motor a crane 276 is a nice cam.

the Qjet wont need much of a tune and you can still retain the standard ignition graph with this cam.

twin 2.25 exhuast will be fine for this motor.

Pav

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS daily // V8 Hilux // Merc 190E
Yeah, my initial thoughts about the manifold were the same, I got it for $50 because my original one was damaged, if it loses too much bottom end I can always find another manifold later down the track, but in the end I'm not worried about drivability or fuel consumption, it is more of a fun car than a daily.

The rest sounds good, cheers for the advice.

P.S would it help much if I got the heads shaved? How much of a compression increase can I get from that?