Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black 308 over heating

Stephenvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore
In need of help guys
Got a black 308 in my vk. Seems to over heat in traffic. Then when i try and fill the radiator even when its cold the thermostat opens and shoots water back out at me. Or even if i hold it at a certain rev it sucks water down the let it go and it shoots a fair bit back up. Has new radiator, thermostat, fans, head gasket just done, head where also shaved and tested. Im thinking water pump but just want some advice

Stephenvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore
Ive also done the timing and the is no water in my oil

Stephenvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore
Im more looking for an answer to the water spitting out. Its puzzled me

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
To me it appears to be an air lock or the water pump is not working. Just to eliminate the thermostat take it out and run it up again, check the condition of the radiator cap (seal) & radiator neck.

You don't say what sort of cooling fans you have & if it overheated at any time on the initial road test?????

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
Did you have the heater tap open initially to bleed the coolant through the heater core???? Also did the thermo-switch kick in @ 85-90 deg C for the fans???? Or just switch the fans on manually/constantly & take it for another spin.

Another thought: just check the bottom hose when you are holding it up in the rev's as I've seen the hose collapse (so can't circulate)????? Some bottom hoses have coiled wire in them to eliminate this from happening..

Stephenvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore
The fans are constantly on.heater is no longer connected either

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
Check the rotation of the fans to ensure they are "sucking" & not trying to blow through the radiator! Make sure the water pump belt is tensioned correctly.

Fill the system tomorrow, top off the overflow bottle. Take it for a run, keeping an eye on the temp, if it starts to over heat, pull over open the bonnet and feel (IT WILL BE HOT SO BE CAREFUL) the radiator to see if the temperature is hot across it (i.e. top is slightly hotter than the bottom). Check the overflow that it is still within the prescribed limits, if coolant is blowing into etc... Don't just go a open the cap, as this will drop the pressure & could cause the coolant to boil. Remember to check the bottom hose.

If you have access to a infrared thermometer, take that with you as that will help with the readings.

You didn't have a rag anywhere near or in the radiator, thermostat, water pump outlets while you had the heads off????? Did you check ALL the gaskets where the same as those that came off so your not blocking off any water galleries??????

Ponza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk GroupA, VF SSV Redline
Did you fit your manifold gaskets the right way?
Have read that they can go on two ways, one way partially blocks the water crossover apparently.