Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black Edition SV6 "Sandman"

Camper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Ute
Oh, OK. When I read this, I thought you meant the speed lined areas would be wrapped as well.

Sorry yeah, should have been written better, I was trying to say that the whole car would be wrapped as opposed to a "clear bra" style.

I reckon I'll get a lot of places, not much clearance sure, but when I think of many outback dirt and gravel roads they're fairly flat.
I'm not trying to rock crawl or cross rivers, just get to the camp ground and see the sights.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I had a couple of mates who went travellng in an XC panelvan in the late 80's.

From the Gold Coast across to Birdsvlle for the races, to Uluru, up to Darwin and across and back down to the coast.

That thing was baby blue, lowered on dragways with a bed set up half way up the rear area with storage underneath.

Got them everywhere they need to go and served them well.

Camper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Ute
F
I had a couple of mates who went travellng in an XC panelvan in the late 80's.

Funny you should say Birdsville, I was just thinking about when a mate and I went there a couple of years ago. I thought at the time you really didn't need 4wd or even much clearance.

Mum made it from Adelaide to Darwin in the late 70's in a station wagon with 3 kids before me, and we did quite a bit of camping around Darwin in her Torana.

We also did heaps of trips out of Alice Springs where you really didn't need 4wd, I can only imagine it's even easier today.

And yet when you look around at travelers guides, tourist info etc. You'd be forgiven for thinking you need a fully kitted fourby to leave the suburbs.

Camper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Ute
Hey all,

so the 2 stage polish and most of the Opti coat are done, car will now be wrapped in 3M PPF, then back to Joe at Clean Getaway Detailing for the final Opti Coat and polish. Cannot wait to get back in this thing!

i8-bmHobJsHiRc2CuAGLMm2Ggyk7wc_dnGK97f3j3VJ7swux1QpN0GhH9vZeqZy_RVoqjH1QzMdOdC6gLfQrEbgbEPa_hrCTemQwS67QYVngl-iac6CAj0ao3vvkfPa2VTwMTwjifszJFI6qFZOMQpbyyJaUCt5bX9hK_tStf1rWiVCK60MldF1e5zo1CtuM7qoR2qz8-MPxoKt1JcfvNP6RQ4fPkEWbdIJMn344w5iEBDn9KBFUZ0YVSWHtc0-1lkoOaHWMxZPtanPUno0IZ3DcJTth5u7cCO3i4yXGVKl0_qa7ZBppdxT5gYoEspmsV6bTxhAXAurSVhwrJwXyETel9KoPRhya7PSfoIeKQqyXfiA-wGjdilX8SxW52rX-QT7EVSsNdxo_g4kB3MKRezjh0LcEkQz7qgAZH8eQWZmhy1DnY9IgSPutWdU5WlZ2wT6XfyQgrkI18SZYjUW4v9hkFt9jxt_MdzyuxnW-XJFTrLZn-Hp7KHNQcItOHfQ2SIgRk7OcdO8uZDWqD8HUakaVsVwNVvIA_DSKzvF2GxQRo5ShLy0v9NzD7CsyHGPXLaWTGTs8eF21A_TK8PUyDK_UwpYFU0wQ4omv7f5RnTmgDUIXQoUm-3pt8BrERBQjfhrCkbcvEZLZWOlLA-W9B3le08c3LU9F62zYdh-kdc4=w1267-h950-no

PEIEvu9Mn0Ip9JwMV6kDp4iLpeMmm7zAjYSQz8Qc6fSikJoWv6W3qg50DHTsApB-qaJESllkNqAr3k7715D_5M30TGqXUuaOz3sLe2JzZuEPGq81eEw5Bps3POjR6N5T_b3HX8J-0DmK6iTzIYms8icHDKtuvWIH5TA30V70q_RQZ_Ev-rKQs4aMyrx0TJUmaRa3WPf6xhHjFqy-a1VLHyrRJsG0NCqbfp2kWr8K3EbbsAG0YBWwxeVlPLTCinX_TpARgdORtPgEX3OS4ONTJ1MrI_TfXSzvqZdOKDOG_3SIdSmN9Ik1hqczU4RPtQFrsuY03wmRdMNjyC3Hkc8rA7FM3gTc9vQqoFGqKIMxDGAUs7TLVWhRFiH6LeTMGjtTZshogvugSkcljy7HfT66xWG3sspm6mul3PrWz0Kgv1bl5CoBUxLUuVBOeLSk92kuvUzOeTy9Qr_XRqINueTwrjhGrbrgsZ6TvrCz8WP-_GFUoVW01UGa2KLaKEdaV1DyQ6Q3kDNpQfKjyFSfZXwccXy9w82fpw92kdWJDx2W5znTxEbZ2myrKkWJMtrquOsUzmoXikkczmb3iXANaY0h1fiav8EWunlKtsrB3UHATuzaSKTfti2200Efs0Pk-ULmTvctKCtSf2410UcPeIPCmLy0nk-Rm4mPLrlWkErz7h4=w1267-h950-no

VERY pleased with the polish, car looks phenomenal.

Clean Get Away Detailing on the Sunshine Coast https://www.cleangetaway.com.au/

Joe has been a great guy to work with, very accommodating, I am away for work so all communication has been over email, he even picked up the car from the rust proofer.
Prices are reasonable and the work speaks for itself.

FlatOut 710

Yeah nah mate
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Commodore S Pac
I've never seen one of those sandman canopies on VF before, I like it though, quite interested to see how this turns out :)

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Great work Camper. I've seen these canopies occasionally - they suit the design but I hadn't really thought too much about how they are fitted/attached.
Can you tell us how the front part that goes over the roof is anchored/sealed & also what happens with the antenna?
When you say you are intending to build a camper in the back, do you mean you intend to line/upholster & fit out the tray in some way (maybe I should just be patient & wait for more pics but you've got me intrigued!)

Camper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Ute
Can you tell us how the front part that goes over the roof is anchored/sealed & also what happens with the antenna?

Hi, I couldn't tell you the technical specifics, I can tell you it's one piece fibre glass and is permanently bonded in a process that takes 3 days. Website might have more information.
http://www.amcat.com.au/product-category/panelvan-canopys/

The antenna is still there, it's not affected by the roof over it. I will probably remove it as I want to use that space for a 12v evaporative air cooler for the camper. I don't have much use for AM/FM and plan on having GPS/3G/UHF/VHF antennas.

For the camper in the back, it will be a relatively simple build, pull out kitchen and storage in drawers under a bed platform. Similar to what you see in the back of a camper trailer, I really like the Drifta kitchens.
http://www.drifta.com.au/fridge-box-package-deal-dpo-style-kitchen/

dzimTnZ.jpg

Plenty of space if used properly.

Will definitely add more insulation, trim, lights and fans. Power for laptops, fridges etc. Final design will take time, I want to get to know the space better first.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Hi, I couldn't tell you the technical specifics, I can tell you it's one piece fibre glass and is permanently bonded in a process that takes 3 days. Website might have more information.
http://www.amcat.com.au/product-category/panelvan-canopys/

The antenna is still there, it's not affected by the roof over it. I will probably remove it as I want to use that space for a 12v evaporative air cooler for the camper. I don't have much use for AM/FM and plan on having GPS/3G/UHF/VHF antennas.

For the camper in the back, it will be a relatively simple build, pull out kitchen and storage in drawers under a bed platform. Similar to what you see in the back of a camper trailer, I really like the Drifta kitchens.
http://www.drifta.com.au/fridge-box-package-deal-dpo-style-kitchen/

dzimTnZ.jpg

Plenty of space if used properly.

Will definitely add more insulation, trim, lights and fans. Power for laptops, fridges etc. Final design will take time, I want to get to know the space better first.
Gee thanks for all that info Camper, that's tops - my Mrs has a phantom VF2 SV6 black edition with the genuine sports bar, hard lid combo so as such isn't going to work with a canopy. Nevertheless, yours looks great & practical for those trips away.
I myself have an 8 y.o. VE SV6 sedan but looking to do a lease on a SS sportwagon so that might become the holiday vehicle. Went to Bathurst in 2015 with the Mrs in her previous poison ivy VE2 ute and it was great for getting away - just took more junk than we needed of course since we weren't living out of it. We had never owned a ute prior to the VE2 & have never owned a wagon so I'm keen to have both before they die out after always having Commodore sedans previously.

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
Hi camper I like the look of PV just not sure about the speed liner but I understand why you have it.
I am thinking of the Sandman canopy for my ute just want to know if the rear window can be removed?
Cheers

Camper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Ute
Hi camper I like the look of PV just not sure about the speed liner but I understand why you have it.
I am thinking of the Sandman canopy for my ute just want to know if the rear window can be removed?
Cheers

Hi,

its my understanding that the rear glass must stay in to be legal, its part of the monocoque construction