Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black EST 202 pinging so is it a CAS vac leak or the EGR

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Hi all,

What is the best way to tell or test if a CAS is failing? The VK is pinging lightly under moderate load when warmed up (not when cold as far as i can tell) and is not idling smoothly.

It hasn't been changed before and is original on the car. It has probably copped a lot of heat over the years.

I am wondering if the CAS is failing but still working but i don't want to change it if it is not the problem.

Cheers

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
What motor is in your VK?
Black 202" efi?

It's a black motor 202 with EST

Apparently the crank angle sensor can play up when it gets hot ... it's at the back of the motor on the passenger side and not much to look at ...

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Id throw the est away and put a he1 in its place never seen the est cas fail. manifold vac leak is what Id be looking

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Id throw the est away and put a he1 in its place never seen the est cas fail. manifold vac leak is what Id be looking

Yeah it's a good idea to rule out a manifold vac leak ... any vac leaks before trying to pin down a random part ... It's about being a good trouble shooter and being good at ruling things out in the right order and the right way and these forums are fantastic for advice and sharing knowledge and experience.

If i ditched the EST and put in an electronic dizzy a manifold leak would still mess with the timing and give me problems ...

Soooo what would be the best order of checking things and ruling things out to deal with pre detonation and rough idle issues?

It has 95 RON fuel and the engine temp seems to be ok (it reads just out of the low temp mark on the gauge). I have a non contact thermometer so what and where should i take a reading to make sure coolant temp is good?

If fuel and temp is good is check for vac leaks the next logical step? At what point is the CAS worth checking? I read somewhere on a forum a bloke had the same sort of problems and apparently he replaced the CAS and fixed his issue but i am not sure if he just fluked it.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Here is a tech bulletin on VK EST pinging ... and checking the EGR http://www.injectronics.com.au/assets/Uploads/T0003.pdf

Injectronics has found that the most likely cause of pinging at light load and cruise conditions is faulty EGR operation and describes how to test the EGR for correct operation.

If the idle does not change when manually applying the valve the ports may need a clean ...

Some fellas don't bother with the EGR and block it off but i don't understand why not have it plumbed in all the time?

Last edited:

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
If it is pre detonating under load check your timing and vac advance.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
If it is pre detonating under load check your timing and vac advance.

Thanks but it has EST and the distributor is "non adjustable". I suppose i could hook up a timing light and check the timing though...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thanks but it has EST and the distributor is "non adjustable". I suppose i could hook up a timing light and check the timing though...

Distributer is adjustable, even with EST......So yes it is adviseable to chuck a timing light on it

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
The distributor is adjustable with EST? How?? Do you mean as in the module sets the timing?