Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black EST 202 pinging so is it a CAS vac leak or the EGR

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Cant remember ever seeing a working EGR etc...all completely blocked or removed.

Can rebuild hei dissy to fix freeplay...most of the 202's had burnt valves or several vac leaks the owners didn't even notice in first place lol

Odds are on i must have at least one vac leak somewhere ... i'll be right over lol

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Is anyone using a catch can on their engines?

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Remove the carbie and in the top of the manifold are two little bellows that the EGR flows into the manifold below, they are difficult to remove.

Do the "two little bellows" look like sleeve liners of the barrels in the top of the manifold? I have a spare manifold and if i blow compressed air through the top of the EGR port a lot of it comes out around the smaller barrel area. So does it gunk up around and below those "bellows" or liners or whatever they are? Would leaving the carby on and blowing compressed air through the port blow the crap out of the area or is that a bad idea?

You are not kidding about difficult to remove ... they would need some sort of puller to get those things out ...

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
pull the whole thing apart clean it up put a kit thru the carby do the manifold gasket the whole event will be over in the day , was how the oldman cured such issues in 1988 thats if its a dirty fuel system and a manifold leak.

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I am curious how a workshop mechanic would sort it out because he wouldn't spend a day on it if he could help it ... the carbon is soft and a bit oily in the manifold so it would be good to clean it out or if there is a way to blow it out with compressed air ?

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
pull the whole thing apart

Any idea how to get those two little "bellows" out that sit at the top of the manifold? They look like liners and they are in tighter than tight. I am tempted to spin some bike cable on a drill through the EGR port and try to rod some of the soot out ...

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
pull the whole thing apart clean it up put a kit thru the carby do the manifold gasket the whole event will be over in the day , was how the oldman cured such issues in 1988 thats if its a dirty fuel system and a manifold leak.

I checked the bolts to the intake manifold and managed to nip up a couple ... the one in the middle right next to the EGR TVS is hard to get to but probably ok ... i'll give her a run tomorrow and see how she goes ...

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I honestly cant remember what i used to remove them, i just know they were hard to get out. The EGR flows out around them into the intake.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I honestly cant remember what i used to remove them, i just know they were hard to get out. The EGR flows out around them into the intake.

Yep i looked at the spare manifold i have and can see what you mean but that manifold is pretty clean though. A puller might get them out. I will try to rod the soot out through the EGR upper port as far as i can through the manifold on the car to see if it can be done that way.

Cheers.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I dont think youll ever get much out that way, when you pull the sleeves out youll see why.