Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black Smoke Under Full Throttle

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
Hey everyone, was driving at 80kmh earlier in third gear and was giving the car a squirt, went to put it in 4th gear and it slipped into 2nd gear instead. the engine sounded pretty angry and i quickly got it into 4th. as i changed into 4th i noticed in my rear view mirror a lot of black smoke. ive never noticed this before whenever i have given the throttle a bit of a stab. i know black smoke is never a good sign and has something to do with the oil, so should i be worried and whats the most likely problem? the engine never has oil pressure issues or over heating issues and generally runs extremely well not matter how much abuse or how much distance it covers in one go. the engine also does not use any oil. any help would be much appreciated

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
^^ agreed
black smoke is easily fixed, far better than blue or white smoke

might need to fiddle with the carb. Did you have your foot dug in fairly hard on the throttle ? (from memory you are running a Quadrajet carb ?) If you were past about 3/4 throttle, then your secondary metering rods might be the wrong size.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
x3 bulk richness on juice level. secondary metering rods too big, or you could possibly bend the secondary metering rod hanger (dodgy, but if you dont have any more rods or dont wanna machine what you have) and lean it off a bit.

to test it, get a mate in the car and get him to look out the back window when you plant the boot. then do the mods and get the mate back in the car to check for black-ness again.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
No one has addressed the fact that this has just randomly occurred.

Check for vacuum leaks bud.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
didnt he recently get this car on the road though? i cant remember.

what size metering rods are they? or have they been made 'custom'

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
standard for a vb or from a different model?

they varied a bit depending on model iirc.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Its a black motor with a small cam in it.

I think its a standard black motor Quady. From what I've read from his other threads. The fact he's never mentioned this issue prior says to me something he's changed has caused it or something has given up.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
thanks for the quick responses everyone. ok just to clarify guys, its a '79 VB with a black 308 from a VK. it has a small cam, roller rockers, sports exhaust and a standard quadrajet that was issued in a VK (i have checked the id codes on the carby). i havent fiddled with the carby at all and ive owned it for 2 months with it being my daily for that entire time. My foot would have been 3/4 down on the gas and this is the 1st time i have noticed it. I drove the car again about half hour after this incident so i got onto a side street and put the gas pedal flat to the floor in 2nd and there wasnt any smoke that time round. i had suspicions that the car was running was rich as the fuel economy is pretty atrocious... i put about 45L of fuel in each week and if i granny the car (i.e. change gears at 2000rpm) i get about 250kms, if i stretch its legs (change gears at 4000rpm) i get about 150 - 200kms.