Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

black that looks brown

jcvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh Sle 4.2, ve SSZ z wagon
hi folks, i am curious as to what the black paint is that has been used on the the air cleaners and and boot sections of specifically early commos but i guess it would have been used on all cars with blacked out sections? it has a brown appearance to it when you look at sections that are still original. could this be what some have called GMH Black??
cheers jc

ps sorry if this has been raised before but i couldnt find a suitable answer.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
most likely its a gmh matt black (or chassis black) your talking about. the yellower or browner the black looks in the sun the cheaper it's made. black is already the cheapest pigment to produce in the color spectrum because it dosent really require any organic pigments to produce it. its basically like a powdered carbon or coal made into paint...

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
There are thousands of shades of black, just as there is with white, grey and every other colour.

FWIW, in the early days, things like wheel black, the drum was topped up with the dreggs left over from other spray jobs, so there were dribbles of red, white and any other colour in there.