Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

blackout window/door chrome

kwhelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR
Wanting to black the chrome strips along the top of the doors, are the strips removeable,clips or are they glued to the rubber seals,
I've given them a bit of a tickle with a screwdriver but they didn't seem to want to pop.
has anyone painted or wrapped theirs and how did they do it?

red_vxr

Reaction score
Members Ride
(don't have a commodore lel)
I believe they're glued or attached on to the doorframes in some way. I wouldn't try to pry them off because you'd probably ruin them, and good luck finding replacement chrome trim.

kwhelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR
No they pop off as indicated in a buick service manual I trawled which is on here somewhere,
front window must start at front corner as they have a pin that inserts into rubber at the other opening end
once you have popped the strip off you slide it backward to get the pin out of the rubber moulding
rear door start at rear of door and work forward , same pin into the rubber at front edge of door
the corner fake windows are glued though, but you can pop the entire corner moulding assembly off the car, 3 clips and then mask the chrome strip
have done the grille and front lower vents so windows are next

kwhelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR
Holden Service Manual2.jpg
Holden Service Manual.jpg

kwhelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR
Yeah I agree , Ive seen white car with high gloss black which matches the vertical window panels and its looked great
The chrome does date it a bit especially on white

iZ_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais ZB Tourer
I hate anything chrome
But the black has to be matte.
And big black matte wheels does help

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Ute/ 2016 VF2 SS-V Redline
Is it just me, or do those make the car look super low rent? I know chrome isn't everybody's favourite, but to my eye he matt black looks terrible with the silver.

Tiny gloss black alloys aren't helping either.
Agree. I think the ZBs need all the help they can get.. a bit of bling does wonders if applied tastefully. Those wheels look terrible..as you say too small... and I think an alloy finish would suit the silver body better..but thats just me. Each to their own.