Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VF] Blackvue DR650GE-2CH Dash Cam Install

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Hi guys,
Over the last couple of days i installed my new dash cam into the VFII Redline.
Once i pulled things apart, it was a pretty straightforward exercise. I did buy some of that Tessa cloth tape that i used to tape up all the wires for the factory loom look and to mitigate any issues with wires rattling around.
I bought a Narva fuse block that i ran battery +, and accessory power to, from the Retained Accessory Power socket that i found clipped behind the left hand side of the glovebox area.
There was plenty of length on the cable from the dash cam to play with, that i ended up taping up and fixing to the existing loom behind the dash panel steel support.
I tucked the coax from the rear camera into the headlining and then ran it to the front of the car on the passenger side then down the A-Pillar to behind the dash.
The front camera coax and power cables were tucked in under the plastic surround that protects the forward collision camera (i had to file out a round hole for the cables to exit at the camera), then into the headlining and down the A-Pillar.
The glovebox is held in place by 6 7mm(i think) screws, but it also has a push in plug to help stabilise it on the radio side at the top (it just clips in), so once i figured this out, it was really easy to remove. Just remember to disconnect the glovebox light when removing the glovebox.
Any other plastics that need to be removed are just those push in tabs.
I taped up the loom for the Power Magic Pro so that it could enter the glovebox in the same vicinity as the light loom, and allowed enough length so you could install and remove the glovebox with ease.
I used lots of the cloth tape and a number of cable ties to fix everything into place so there wouldn't be any rattles, tested everything before re-installing all the plastics and am very happy with the results.
IMG_0536_1.jpg
IMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0542_1.jpg
IMG_0544.JPG
IMG_0546_1.jpg
IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG
IMG_0548_1.jpg
IMG_0547_1.jpg
IMG_0541_1.jpg

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Sorry, title should be "Blackvue DR650GW-2CH Dasc Cam Install"

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Great effort and detail on the How To mate, well done.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Hey mate, awesome write up.
just a bit confused with the terminal block you installed, in layman's terms, how is that circuitry wired? i had not planned on buying something like that..? or is that the same as using a fuse piggyback?

do you remember which pins are powered ALL the time, and which need accessories on to be live?

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Hey mate, awesome write up.
just a bit confused with the terminal block you installed, in layman's terms, how is that circuitry wired? i had not planned on buying something like that..? or is that the same as using a fuse piggyback?

do you remember which pins are powered ALL the time, and which need accessories on to be live?

In my pics above, you can see my red/black wires going into the RAP connector, the red is hard active, the black is accessory active. My terminal block is essentially putting inline fuses in my cables from the RAP connector. I just doubled up the active and accessory power to give me another set of terminals for my wideband oxygen sensor. My ground was a bolt up under the dash.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Hey mate quick question I just ordered one and seen the magic pro has a cig socket on the end what did u do with that?

Did u cut it off along join the wires?

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Hey mate quick question I just ordered one and seen the magic pro has a cig socket on the end what did u do with that?

Did u cut it off along join the wires?

No, don't cut that plug off, it is used with the rest of the camera wiring, it is essentially plug and play for that part, you just need to power that connector.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
I realized that afterwards lol, instead of installing a fuse block off that plug could I instead just run inline fuses?

kirkc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6
I'm not planning on doing this in the near future but your photos etc are fantastic and may be helpful for other things. Thank you.

kirkc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6
I realized that afterwards lol, instead of installing a fuse block off that plug could I instead just run inline fuses?
The fuse block is a much better idea and not something I've previously considered when doing things like this. In-line fuses can be a bitch...especially if you have to replace the fuse. The fuse block allows for 'expansion' and flexibility. Also makes testing a lot easier.