Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blanking plate details

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
I've always been confused as to why people blank out their number plates in images posted on the internet. I can understand it if your ripping up the street but otherwise I'm not sure of the reasoning?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Because if an internet troll didn’t like you they could report you to the epa. Then you’re guilty until you prove yourself innocent by having your car inspected/tested.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Strange how 'Carsales' blank out the plates, and then you scroll down a few lines and find the rego number. :rolleyes:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Also if there is any one who has access to the registered owners details, being name and address, they could pass the personnel information onto a person that operates on the wrong side of the law, which could be involved with vehicle theft, or similar,
Especially if you have a classic car.
With the internet so open with social media, and has a lot of dishonest people that try and make a quick buck, why would you not try hide you privacy/identity.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Also if there is any one who has access to the registered owners details, being name and address, they could pass the personnel information onto a person that operates on the wrong side of the law, which could be involved with vehicle theft, or similar,

Surely you are not hinting that somebody with dodgy background and intentions could be working in a motor registry office. Never happen.
Awww …………... yeah, there was somebody (western Sydney ?) last century, that was alleged to be providing alleged criminal gangs with info about alleged stolen cars that were allegedly exported to certain Middle Eastern countries. Could have been fake news ?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yet when one's car is out in public, plates are clear for all to see.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Yet when one's car is out in public, plates are clear for all to see.

Hard to write the rego down as I zoom past though :)

I think its the accessibility. If you did a data pull from all the photos loaded on here, or a facebook group, you'd get hundreds of regos with car and colour combos.

You could do the same in a supermarket, but takes a lot longer and not as targeted.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Some people simply like to preserve some aspects of their privacy while others may wear their life on their social media account for all to see, in perpetuity o_O

Me I’m not a fan of social media sharing every aspect of what one eats, drinks or what they think about their relatives. But each to their own :oops:

But the photos I laugh at are the ones where they’ve blanked their plate but you can see people or places in the reflections on the glass :p It’s a privacy fail, if that’s what one was trying to achieve :rolleyes: