Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blasting - engine covers

NORTI

Crazy VS lady
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrack
What sort of blasting can I use on engine covers, rocker covers and manifold?
Want to clean up all the old paint etc before starting again

assume sandblasting is too aggressive, what blasting should I be looking for?

H

harrop.senator

Sand blasting is definitely fine. 40-60 garnet I don't think will even put it . If worried can use 80-100 or aluminium oxide.

If they're powder coating after ; make sure there's some sort of etching process between the alloy and the powder coat. A lot will go straight over and will only last a few years.

NORTI

Crazy VS lady
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrack
Sand blasting is definitely fine. 40-60 garnet I don't think will even put it . If worried can use 80-100 or aluminium oxide.

If they're powder coating after ; make sure there's some sort of etching process between the alloy and the powder coat. A lot will go straight over and will only last a few years.

Thanks! Had another set powdercoated previously but they were already stripped so didn’t get blasted first.

H

harrop.senator

All good ! I shouldn't have to say it if you've had it done before. But on a flat surface like the rocker covers and injector covers you'll get a little orange peel with powder coating I've found.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Beadblasting is the go. Try a radiator shop they often have one.

NORTI

Crazy VS lady
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrack
All good ! I shouldn't have to say it if you've had it done before. But on a flat surface like the rocker covers and injector covers you'll get a little orange peel with powder coating I've found.

the ones on the Ute are pretty smooth, can’t say I have noticed too much in the finish.

Attachments

• 50D0849E-264A-44C0-81CA-29C8947438D1.jpeg
    50D0849E-264A-44C0-81CA-29C8947438D1.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 71
H

harrop.senator

I can see it from here haha. They did really well though , just a lot of people expect it to look like a painted car after coating. The heat does level it out really really well but isn't a perfect finish.

NORTI

Crazy VS lady
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrack
I can see it from here haha. They did really well though , just a lot of people expect it to look like a painted car after coating. The heat does level it out really really well but isn't a perfect finish.

doing 2 colours was a stretch so it’s not as neat as I would have liked but it’s tougher than paint and this is a daily hack after all

H

harrop.senator

Oh for sure! I only paint then cause I can paint I don't have powder coating equipment. It's always the best option for alloy and high wear or grime areas.

NORTI

Crazy VS lady
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrack
Oh for sure! I only paint then cause I can paint I don't have powder coating equipment. It's always the best option for alloy and high wear or grime areas.

we have a powder coater in the next door shed to us so its handy to throw things over the fence is all :D