Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bleed valve location for cooling system

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Hi all I have questions relating to the bleed valve on the head for the cooling system, Where is the bleed valve? ie- what number cylinder on the head? is it on the passenger side? and how does it come out or open?

Thanks all I wanna refill my radiator without cracking the head.

R

rattattack1313

okay.....follow the top radiator hose to the top of the motor....see the screw with a nut on it??????fill radiator, and resevoir,then start motor...then turn it off...and check everrything is still full.....then start her again.....when it warms up a bit...you then turn the screw...and let all the air out....

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Thanks bro will give it a go when she cools down (just been for a drive)

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
the proper way to do it ,is to fill radiator ,take off rubber hose that gos from the resevoir to the rad ,and tape it to the bonnet stand above moter hight 'put in a small funnel into hose , there are 2 bleed nuts ,thay should say 'do not open when hot',open the lower nut ,and pour water into funnell, when water starts to come out of bleed hole ,tighten it ,and then lossen the top nut , and pour in more water ,and then tighten when water comes out job done
if you dont do it properly you will blow your head gasket :drink: :drink: :b:

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Thanks guys :)

simo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
Be careful when taking them off cause they have a tendancy to break

Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Crapbox
Dont forget the one at the top of the intake manifold.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
you must undo both bleeder nuts, safer when cold, its easiest to force water into the radiator under pressure with a hose until water flows out of both holes
if no hose the other idea with funnel sounds clever, an alternative is a long length of hose that just fits inside the radiator cap hole, to get the filling height above the higher bleeder screw on the top of the intake manifold. a spare top radiator hose seems suitable

would be a good idea to carry a spanner for the bleeder screws and other gear if you are short of water in the middle of nowhere, otherwise it seems steam builds up at high pressure in the top area, stopping any water getting up there, resulting in the infamous steam trap and a cracked head thru overheating

the nissan ebgine was shoehorned into the VL resulting in the top of the water jacket being higher than the top of the radiator

V

vlrad

Just for a laugh - about 2 weeks ago I replace the inlet manifold with a second handy - I turned the ignition on I heard the fuel lines load up under pressure. I started the car checking for leaks of any kind. After about 5 minutes I was sitting in the car (bonnet off) I was looking at the top of the engine when a 4 foot high stream of fuild streamed into the air - I thought christ a fuel leak, its going everywhere - it was coolant streaming from the bleeder (which was sitting loose).

V

vlrad

I sheard one of the bleeder bolts (the one near the temp sensor) - nasty old thing - anyone know what the treat specs are so I can run a tap in it to put a newie in.