Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bleeding brakes (just double checking)

HRVATSKI_VOJNIK

a.k.a KRIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
k, well tomorrow I'm gonna replace the brake pads on my VS
I've looked thought my cars workshop manual, read how-tos and watched a few videos (youtube, expertvilige)

i know what i gotta do just wanna double check with you fellas
After i replace the pads and put the calipers back, (i'll do some gentle pumps just to get the pads bedded abit) then I'll start the bleeding

so i'll get the right sized spanner and place it on the bleeder, then put a tube which is lightly coated in brake fluid, have it atleast 2 inches of the tube above the bleeder, and the end in a bottle.

I'll get the assistant to gently press the brake pedal to half way, open bleeder, let some of the old fluid out, close bleeder and tell the assistant to let the brake pedal go. then repeat this a few times until there is a nice flow of clean fluid coming out of the bleeder. then repeat with the other calipers

oh yeah, and make sure that the fluid level is around the max mark on the reservoir before bleeding & after bleeding:p

then the proper bedding instructions to complete the lot:yeah:

i hope i got it right, anything I'm missing?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You will be pumping old fluid from your master cylinder unless you first syringe out all the old fluid from the master cylinder...also wipe the crap up from the bottom of the MC with paper toweling - then fill up with new fluid. Bleed till the new fluid comes out of the tube - this way you are filling the caliper with new fluid which is not contaminated with water which lowers its boiling point.
Bleed the rear first, the pass side and lastly drivers side. Clean the bleeder screw and use a ring spanner not an open ender. Be careful not to push the pedal past where you normally push to. (not the end of the world if you do)
Apart from that it looks like you've done your homework. Have fun and Good Luck.

HRVATSKI_VOJNIK

a.k.a KRIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
unless you first syringe out all the old fluid from the master cylinder.

won't that let air in?, I'm gonna leave abit of the old fluid at the bottom/base of the reservoir, or will that contaminate the new fluid?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
won't that let air in?, I'm gonna leave abit of the old fluid at the bottom/base of the reservoir, or will that contaminate the new fluid?

It won't let air in unless you push the pedal before you fill it with new fluid - the outlet is at the very bottom of the MC and you'll notice tiny pieces of crud and mud at the very bottom which you should remove. Good Luck.

Last edited:

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
just pour new fluid ontop of old fluid. Sure it will contaminate a bit with the old fluid, but what are you gonna do, just keep pumping the pedal till clean stuff comes out on the first one and then the other wont even take half that long as the new fluid will already be in the lines then

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
sounds like you have all the info u need... just remember to close the bleeder before the assistant lets the pedal up. otherwise you will suck air strait back in the line..

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Wont matter closing the bleeder before you let the pedal up. If the hose is in fluid there is no way of air getting in. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
correct wavez, thats the idea of having a hose so you can bleed them yourself without sucking air back in when you get off the pedal.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
You will be pumping old fluid from your master cylinder unless you first syringe out all the old fluid from the master cylinder...also wipe the crap up from the bottom of the MC with paper toweling - then fill up with new fluid. Bleed till the new fluid comes out of the tube - this way you are filling the caliper with new fluid which is not contaminated with water which lowers its boiling point.
Bleed the rear first, the pass side and lastly drivers side. Clean the bleeder screw and use a ring spanner not an open ender. Be careful not to push the pedal past where you normally push to. (not the end of the world if you do)
Apart from that it looks like you've done your homework. Have fun and Good Luck.

Thats how i done mine the other day .I used a bleeder hose with a one way valve in it .