Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bleeding cooling system

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
Hi all,

How do you bleed the air out of the cooling system on an L98? My Haynes says to bleed it, but doesn't say how (it only says that the V6 is self bleeding, nothing about the V8). I could not see a bleed screw on the thermostat housing or anywhere else. I have to replace the top heater hoses due to leaking connectors, so will need to at least top up coolant.

Thanks.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
no bleed screw on the v8's,many different ways to change coolant etc,drain some from the tap at bottom of radiator into a milk bottle or something like that,take out roughly 2 litres and then replace top hose,then when hose is replaced top up with new coolant to top of radiator,go for a drive then check overflow bottle for level,if you feel the desire you can let it cool down and then check the cap however this usually unnecessary if the cap is ok
hope this helps

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
When I changed my coolant I filled it very slowly, and only til it was just visible at the top of the radiator, then ran the engine with the radiator cap off and heater on for 10 mins or so, when the air is out it will look like a whirlpool in the neck and the level will be stable. Has worked fine since.