Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bleeding ve clutch fluid

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
hey guys ,ive done a search but no answers. can some one tell me how to bleed the clutch and replace the fluid in my ss.ive just done the brakes but have no idea how to do the clutch.cheers:)

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
If its like a vz, the bleed nipple is a long 10mm nipple protruding from the left side of the bell housing. Most of it will be inside the bel housing and most of the fluid will run into the bell housing if you don't put a hose onto it when you crack it. Hope that helps.

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
If its like a vz, the bleed nipple is a long 10mm nipple protruding from the left side of the bell housing. Most of it will be inside the bel housing and most of the fluid will run into the bell housing if you don't put a hose onto it when you crack it. Hope that helps.

had a look but couldnt find the bleed nipple.maybe im blind.its getting a little dark now ,will look again tomorrow.cheers.

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
Too easy, let us know how you went!

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
So, 63 million Commodore SS's in Australia and no one can tell us how to change the clutch fluid in a manual ?
CAN ANYONE HELP OUT, I have to do mine too.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
I use a syringe to empty the reservoir pump the clutch and then repeat a few times.
not bleeding the system per say but get the black fluid clean.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
So, 63 million Commodore SS's in Australia and no one can tell us how to change the clutch fluid in a manual ?
CAN ANYONE HELP OUT, I have to do mine too.

We actually were talking about it last week and if you google LS3 clutch fluid or G8 clutch it come up everywhere on the net and there's several videos that help a lot too

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
Thanks fellas for the reply.
Yes syringe out the old fluid and refill. Push clutch in 25 or so times and replace again.
Repeat the above 3 or 4 times if you want. Refill and drive as normal and replace again in a week or two. Dont worry , the fluid will return to a dark colour each time.
You can also look on the RHS of gearbox bellhousing to reveal a small grease nipple thingo, this is the proper fluid bleeder nipple, so you could put new fluid in the cylinder then push clutch down a few times, hold down and unscrew the nipple till most fluid is out, refill and repeat, just like doing the brakes.......but I think its possible to run into problems this way as the slave cylinder and bleeder run into the inside of bellhousing, so I avoided doing it this way, but it is up to you.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Thanks fellas for the reply.
Yes syringe out the old fluid and refill. Push clutch in 25 or so times and replace again.
Repeat the above 3 or 4 times if you want. Refill and drive as normal and replace again in a week or two. Dont worry , the fluid will return to a dark colour each time.
You can also look on the RHS of gearbox bellhousing to reveal a small grease nipple thingo, this is the proper fluid bleeder nipple, so you could put new fluid in the cylinder then push clutch down a few times, hold down and unscrew the nipple till most fluid is out, refill and repeat, just like doing the brakes.......but I think its possible to run into problems this way as the slave cylinder and bleeder run into the inside of bellhousing, so I avoided doing it this way, but it is up to you.

Actually 63 million commodore SS's plus HSV's, camaro's, corvette's AND G8 owners do this.

Use the 'old' syringe to replace fluid, pump repeat. Once fluid is clear bleed at transmission (only needed if you get air bubbles!!!) and we're all happy

You don't need to do it weekly either unless you trash your car or can't drive manual. It's only required when the fluid changes colour which could be every two years which is when the fluid is due to be changed anyway

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
No worries ducker 85, but I have been syringinging mine quite a few times now and find it darkens easily, and I drive it fairly normal, so thats why i mentioned to re do it in a few weeks. I guess each one of the 63 million SS's could be different. Cheers.