Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

blending into existing paint?

fallen1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Holden VS Statesman
my statesman was smashed into by a corolla the other day and insurance wouldn't give me the full respray. the said all they could do was try to blend my paint into the existing paint... i have no idea how its going to turn out. has anyone else had this done to their car...

i own a white vs statesman but it isn't the original white, its a lot more bright and powerful so im unsure how they are going to match it.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
sometimes it worth paying to have that side repainted at same time out of your pocket
OR
have it light sanded all over and re-clearcoated this can help mask very very VERY slight paint colour variations

your car has a paint code they can use this to get extremely close to orignal paint colour
most reputable panelbeaters will be very good at matching it
so probably not worth the stress until you see result

fallen1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Holden VS Statesman
thanks mate... im bloody stressing about it.. i dont wanna clean it up and then go for a drive and have a 2 two toned car lol... if it ends up being horrible ill just use some of my saved up pennies and get it all redone in a really nice white i guess

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
no need to stress now you need to trust in them to match it

do be aware that if they match paint code then the rest of the car will likely need a cut and polish (buffing)
to match qaulity of new paint anyway

fallen1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Holden VS Statesman
yep alright thanks... big help mate =D

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
color matching and blending in on a white car is no biggy for any tradesman that knows what he's doing. if it's not right when you get it back, take it back and get them to fix it. they are contracted by your insurance company to "return your vehicle to pre-accident condition".

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
take it to a good panel shop and they will match it.
if its been done in solid (no clear) tell them you dont want it blended and cleared as this looks a bit yellowish next to solid whites.
you can spray the same white and clear one of them and it will look different.

fallen1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Holden VS Statesman
alright sweet.. thanks people im new to cars and what not so this is great help

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
quick heads up, the only time we blend on whites is if they are a newish car. from around 2005 onwards car manufacturers used clear over base for solid coloured cars as well because it is actually cheaper for them. they can use the same robot to paint all the cars. 99% of the time we will just match the colour to the panels either side if its an older car, or a toyota! lol. also, when clearing a white, it doesn't yellow the panel if using a good quality clear. this only happens with cheap clears and affects all colours not just white.