Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

blending into existing paint?

trav_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss and vs statesman
dont stress they do it everyday they know what they are doing

nitrowarrior

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vt GTS Build 78
Dont stress.......Just go on the finished job...If it does not look right Spell it out and dont take delivery of the vehicle...ring insurance company if nessacery......I can tell you that a paintcolour match is dependent on the eye of the applyer.......Every time I order a colour to a code, I can promise you that I will need to tint or adjust the colour to match the vehicle....Usually just down to colours fade and change with time........I painted a Heron White ute the other day, and the paint that was sent to me was occording to code, however I had to adjust with a touch of ochre just to get it right.....
As far as blending in goes....EASY...after cut a polish you will never know...Hell you can cut runs in the paint out.....dont stress as long as it looks the part, best thing about white is usally no clear required...easy job....

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
quick heads up, the only time we blend on whites is if they are a newish car. from around 2005 onwards car manufacturers used clear over base for solid coloured cars as well because it is actually cheaper for them. they can use the same robot to paint all the cars. 99% of the time we will just match the colour to the panels either side if its an older car, or a toyota! lol. also, when clearing a white, it doesn't yellow the panel if using a good quality clear. this only happens with cheap clears and affects all colours not just white.

Correct,

white's are easy to get looking good, they should just 2k it, would be alot easier but oh well. I wouldnt stress, its only paint, whats the worst that can happen?

L

lmacpherson

Blending Metalic?

Ok so what bout blending metalic, say tiger mica? Can it be done if paints in good condition but it is a10yr old car

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
of course. Metallics can be blended no probs at all, that tiga mica isn't too bad, comes off the machine fine, so don't really need to change the colour much.

If you are giving your car to a panel shop, they all SHOULD be able to do this kind of thing no worries at all.

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
it'd be a worry if they couldn't! although i've had some shockers at work. i've had to put 2 different colours on many a car thanks to the guys at punchbowl smash putting a completely different colour down one side of a car...

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
Ive heard they use digital photography to match the car they are re-spraying, I could be wrong and if someone knows better, tell me so i dont make a #### of myself by telling others. lol

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
I know Dupont have an electronic colour reader you place over a panel and will come up with a formula closest for blending, but at my shop, we don't have any tools like that. We only have colour chips and our eyes :p

L

lmacpherson

So if the metalic paint on the car is differant from the original code a good sprayer can blend it to match, even without an electronic colour reader? Is that their whole name dupont?

Any1 ever noticed when you wear polarised sunnies you can see spray lines on some cars

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
lol yes mate, you don't need fancy colour machines to get a good match.

you would find that those lines you speak of would be from poor painting method, or lack of drop coating. But yeah metallics aren't hard, some can be testing, but i haven't had a colour yet that has beat me.