Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blew up old amp, after new one

Panseven

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY Wagon
Hey guys, out of spontaneous decision I bought a fusion 700watt 4 ohm 4 channel amp. I now have two 1100 watt 4ohm 300 (or so) rms and I run them parallel. At a party on the weekend I blew my amp up and I'm looking for a new amp. I want to buy an amp that runs effectively at 2 ohms and has enough power to power my two subs. I only need the amp for my subs because I am not powering my speakers in my car. I have no idea where to start and what brands are reliable

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
so...to clarify, you need an amp that will run 600wrms@2ohm?
Quality?
Budget?
Physical size?

Panseven

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY Wagon
Yeah. Pretty much 600-700rms.
Quality - something that'll last
Budget - $150-200
Size - fit under the passenger seat

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
The amp you had was probably reliable if you looked after it. Go down to jaycar and grab one of their response monos, about 250 bucks.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Why are you using a 4 channel, 4 ohm amp to run Subs at 2 ohm? Why not get a decent monoblock that is stable at 2ohm?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Why are you using a 4 channel, 4 ohm amp to run Subs at 2 ohm? Why not get a decent monoblock that is stable at 2ohm?

Pretty sure he'd have been running it as a 2 channel (4 channel bridged) at 4 ohm which is fine. A monoblock would be more efficient but both methods work fine.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Maybe im just imaging him using 2x 4CH amps bridged (each to 2 channels) then somehow him bridging those again to power his 2 subs which has killed his amps?

Panseven

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY Wagon
Hey guys, thanks Tasman for so much information. I will definetly have a look at them when I get on my pc. My amp that I had was 4ch but I found that one 2 of them channels were bridgeable. So I had both subs running off 2 channels in parallel. When I was doing this, the amp was cutting out at higher volumes (I believe it was because the amp didnt run stable at 2ohms). I bought the 4ch amp when I first bought the car and I only expected to run one sub. Now I have two subs and realise a more stable monoblock is the way to go. Just not sure which one but now I have a few models thanks to Tasman