Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blew up old amp, after new one

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Pretty sure he'd have been running it as a 2 channel (4 channel bridged) at 4 ohm which is fine. A monoblock would be more efficient but both methods work fine.

Ignore my reply here. I expected more from the OP :doh:

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
I'd defs be saving up for the JL XD series amp. I've got the XD700 5ch amp running my front splits, rear speakers and my twin 12" kicker subs, all from one tiny amp! its great.

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Hey guys, thanks Tasman for so much information. I will definetly have a look at them when I get on my pc. My amp that I had was 4ch but I found that one 2 of them channels were bridgeable. So I had both subs running off 2 channels in parallel. When I was doing this, the amp was cutting out at higher volumes (I believe it was because the amp didnt run stable at 2ohms). I bought the 4ch amp when I first bought the car and I only expected to run one sub. Now I have two subs and realise a more stable monoblock is the way to go. Just not sure which one but now I have a few models thanks to Tasman

So you had your subs in parallel creating a 2 ohm load, then bridged it onto your amp? When bridging any amp your impedance is halved straight away. Your amp was therefore trying to run at 1 ohm, which is what killed it.

Running your subs in parallel on a mono will be fine, the amp will run at 2 ohm.

Panseven

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY Wagon
Hey thanks VEO.
Also anarklov3r, I get a bit confused when it comes to powering speakers that's the reasoning for never attempting it before. Would anyone give me a run down on how to amplify 4 speakers and sub woofers please, it would be appreciated.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
The amplifier i mentioned is a 5 channel. By far the EASIEST way to do what you want.

Has 4 channels for FR/FL/RR/RL and 2 terminals for subs (bridging them etc)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
and if thats a bit too much too spend, Alpine has good options in the 5channel line up.

Failing that.. four channel to drive your door speakers and mono block for the subs.

Panseven

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY Wagon
Hey Tasmaniak, i had a look at the alpine 5ch range and i found their two 5ch amps they make
Alpine MRX-V70 5 Channel Amplifer - ($368.85)RYDA Car Audio
and
Alpine PDX-V9 4 CH Car Amplifer - ($528.85)RYDA Car Audio

I am also looking at purchasing a two pairs of splits but am only looking at spending about 130-+ a pair, which amp would match my sub setup and also my speaker setup i desire

I was thinking about these ones Alpine SPS-610CG 6" Split Car Speakers - ($122.85)RYDA Car Audio But im not sure.
Will the first amp be under powered for all speakers and subs together?

Thanks for the advice aswell guys, much apprecited

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Depends on how much sound you want. If you want killer sound and can be pretty loud and have a sub which is well balanced... go the smaller one. Its awesome!

If you want a massive amount of sound at ear splitting volume and run multiple subs for killer bass... go the second one.

As for speakers... well, PERSONALLY, I'm not a fan of Alpine speakers. Nothing to do with build quality, just don't like their sound. If I can make a suggestion, use coaxials in the rear and spend the money you save on some splits in the front. Also makes the install a lot easier.

Panseven

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY Wagon
I'm a bass head! I love it!
I'm not sure if I can afford 530 on an amp though, I will save up and see how I go with everything.
I see what you are saying about using coaxial in the rear. Say I have a budget of $250 on all 4 speakers, what would be the most recommended speakers in you opinion?
Would I be able to power two subs off of the smaller one aswell as four speakers? I have a wagon and I love having two subs in the back :)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
You'd probably get better performance from a single sub matched to the output than a pair of subs getting half their power.

Speakers? Let your ears be the judge.