Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 block releiving for 355 crank??

dastig

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S1
Ok so it has probably been asked before but I can't find it

Do I need to relieve the block for a 355 stroker crank in a 304 block, or is that brand specific.

Cheers All:thumbsup:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I assume you mean removing material for clearance of the crank counter weights?? In which case yes (unless your block is VR onwards). You need to grind a small amount from the base of the piston bores. If you strike water then take off a little less.

Reaper

dastig

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S1
yes, I am talking about removing a bit of steel to make way for the counter weights

I want someone who has built one to let me know as I have got different answers from everbody and some sites say that they are original equipment replacement, so I assume that means no block modification, however a follow up question would be:

If I have to grind a bit away, can I do this from underneath subframe etc. removed??

Basically what has happened is I did my big ends and mains recently and the crank didn't look too flash and when all the bearings were back in I still have a very light knock, so it's time for a new crank, as I'm not rich enough for a full rebuild. And I figured if it is easy I may as well claim a bit of extra torque for my troubles.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you will need to remove the engine from the car to do the grinding or fit the crank LOL

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
yes, I am talking about removing a bit of steel to make way for the counter weights

I want someone who has built one to let me know as I have got different answers from everbody and some sites say that they are original equipment replacement, so I assume that means no block modification, however a follow up question would be:

If I have to grind a bit away, can I do this from underneath subframe etc. removed??

Basically what has happened is I did my big ends and mains recently and the crank didn't look too flash and when all the bearings were back in I still have a very light knock, so it's time for a new crank, as I'm not rich enough for a full rebuild. And I figured if it is easy I may as well claim a bit of extra torque for my troubles.

Well the fool proof way to do it is get your stroker crank and do a (careful) trial fit to see where you need to grind. A stock crank will give you a starting point - where the counter weights are nearest to the block.

AFAIK you will need to grind the block to some extent on pre VR blocks to fit a 355. Do you mean with the engine in the car??? I probably wouldn't be recommending that one. Anything is possible but i'm not sure what will be stopping the engine landing on your head when you remove the K-frame and sump. You will need to remove the sump - no choice on that one.

Reaper

dastig

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S1
delcowizzid: you can remove the crank from a VT SS with the engine in the car, did it recently , remove the gearbox, and drop the subframe, did it on a hoist at work, I'm a mechanic. SO lad you can laugh at your own lack of knowledge now :thumbsup:

Reaper: Thanks mate been very helpful. I think I'll call some engine rebuilders, the lad my workshop uses didn't know.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
its just so much easier pulling the engine than box and subframe.plus its a lot easier to clean all the old bearing filings out the oil galleries etc so the new bearing don get killed on initial startup.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
yea for a normal person u cant remove the crank without removing the engine as we cant get access to a hoist to do that kinda work.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
ummm, doesnt the bores need to be taken out to 30 thou to be a 355? and the pistons need to be zero decked? how do you plan on doing that in the car?

Depends entirely on the crank you are planning to use. For the 3 hours spent pulling the motor out of the car, many times that will be saved in rooting around though.

Reaper