Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Block Their Shot

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
not once when i was driving in the US couple months ago did i ever look at my speedo. just went with the flow of traffic, which on the freeways was about 15-20mph over the limit. actually my brother even commented a few times that i was going too slow in the built up areas. im just use to the feel of 60kph...

if they ticketed every speeder in hte US there would be riots year round, cities would burn. plus the police have better things to do then write tickets (like shooting unarmed people). here you dont even have to power to say no to a smart meter lol...

got a ticket in the mail few months back for 58 in a 50, was like $180. in a 20 something year old commodore, who knows how accurate the speedo even is. you wonder how many people watch their clusters instead of scanning the surroundings and clean up a pram, or some fool that steps out in front. at the end of the day the govt has already had a taste of the free money, the only way your going to get it back is by prying it from their cold dead hands...

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
I've had two speeding camera tickets in 16 years. Both at the bottom hills. One was recent where i got a speed camera ticket for doing 58 at the bottom of a hill. Why do you suppose that they target the bottom hills other than a good place to pick up easy money.
Revenue gathers and nothing more.
For those that "have no problem with them" surely the epitome of stupidy is to continue to do something that isn't working?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
anything that keeps money in my pocket and waste other peoples time doing is fine by me.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
here in NZ the speed cameras are placed specifically to catch people out in this exact scenario.

then don't speed and you won't get flashed

on the down hills I tend to let the car accelerate a touch knowing full well that with 10-15 seconds when I head back up hill this speed will be wiped off, I'm not speeding excessively and it's momentarily but yet they still place a speed camera in the dip on the road at this hill.

you willingly and knowingly defy the posted speed but still say that speed cameras are revenue raisers

To make matters worse, this Xmas season in NZ, speed tolerances were dropped to 1km/h over the posted speed limit and been enforced for the entire months of December and January.

then don't drive 1k over and you won't get flashed.

Something isn't working and it doesn't add up. What does add up though is the increased number of motorists ticketed in the last month, drivers that would not have been ticketed this time last year.

maybe new zealanders can't drive, or they knowingly exceed the speed limit like you do.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
I love that the roads minister is threatening to legislate against people doing it. So a camera parks on my street, will I no longer be able to park on my own street in case I am blocking it?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
#### there are some narrow minded people about.

I write 10 paragraphs and get quoted on 4 lines which are a complete misrepresentation of my entire rant.

It's these narrow minded people who spend more time watching the speedo and less time the road that are a menace to the greater driving public. The type of people who drive below the speed limit and are constantly applying brakes and then accelerating which by the way wears out your brakes faster and uses more gas.

I drive a car and go with the flow of traffic and occasionally check my speed. I like to pay attention to those areas where I am most likely to get killed and that is other drivers who can't follow simple road rules like stopping at a red light. My speed is safe and won't kill me, another driver on the other hand most certainly could in the blink of an eye and I'm much more likely to miss him if I'm watching my speedo like a nazi.

And if you think I get a lot of speeding tickets then you are sorely mistaken.

And why should I receive a speeding ticket for a speed that for 10 months of the year I would not. If you were to look at the deaths on our roads in the last weeks, more than double last year most were not speed related and if you check the article I linked in another thread about speed cameras it clearly shows our average speed is now lower so going by the wisdom that we are all speedsters (although less so now) there should be a corresponding drop in the number of deaths on the road if speed was the major cause of deaths on our roads. On these simple facts it is clear that speed isn't the primary cause because numbers don't lie so why target speeders if they aren't the major cause of road deaths when we are told over and over again that speed kills, simple because it's the easiest way to collect revenue.

you know it's been proven that if you tell the same lie over and over again you will eventually believe it yourself. It certainly seems that that is the case when the authorities keep banging on about "speed kills" and many of the public as well. BTW, speed doesn't kill, it's the sudden stop that does :)

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
It's these narrow minded people who spend more time watching the speedo and less time the road that are a menace to the greater driving public.

cruise control is a magnificent thing. besides any decent driver should be able to roughly tell when they are going too fast without having to look at the dash.

it's the easiest way to collect revenue.

not if you don't speed.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
cruise control is a magnificent thing. besides any decent driver should be able to roughly tell when they are going too fast without having to look at the dash.

not if you don't speed.

"roughly" going too fast? because every driver can identify that theyre doing 1km/h over the speed limit at any time? damn, you must be a pro!!