Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Block Their Shot

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
"roughly" going too fast? because every driver can identify that theyre doing 1km/h over the speed limit at any time? damn, you must be a pro!!

Well if it looks as though you're going too fast, most drivers would then check the dash.

None of that matters anyway because the only way not to get flashed is to not speed. I don't understand why people squeal about it being revenue easing when it's so very simple not to have to pay a fine in the first place.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
cruise control is a magnificent thing. besides any decent driver should be able to roughly tell when they are going too fast without having to look at the dash.

not if you don't speed.

When do you use Cruise Control? I dont bother on anything less than 100km highways as using it on 80 main roads is useless due to how many slowing down and stops etc there are and typically thats where the cameras are.

As for knowing when im going to fast. I dunno, what do you classify as to fast? What do you think you can detect? 3kmph? Cause thats what you get pinged for in Victoria. If you can tell if youre going 3kph to fast than you should probably sign up to the Government Revenue Collection Agency.

Personally, in my VE, even 10kmph over (at 100) doesnt feel like youre doing to much over the limit.

I agree that yes we need to get the idiots who speed everywhere off the roads, ie the people who constantly do 10kmph over the limit.

What I do not agree with is getting people, everyday people who have momentary lapses where they havent got their eyes glued to the speedo. Id rather someone do 75 in a 70 zone if they were fully aware of their surroundings instead of focused on their dash. Theres a speed camera up the road from me, for those who live in Victoria - Springvale Road/High Street Road. That area has double cameras on it and that entire strip outside of the shopping center has been indentified as a major accident hot spot. Not because people speed, but because people are distracted by the shopping center and what theyve brought and the fact its Glen Waverley where the drivers are ####ing woeful, couple that with them driving down the road and see the massive speed cameras and anchor hard down the slope. Its a ####ing disaster. People keep smashin down the camera and time after time its replaced because its a massive cash cow.

Id like to see 10% leniency come in, rather than the specific 3kmph leeway here in Victoria.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
My gf is Canadian and when she came here i had to explain what a speed camera was lol They dont have them, only radar guns and see one once in a blue moon. Every one speed there and no dramas. She would sit on 150 in a 100 zone and so do many people. If u get a fine you take it to the judge and you usually get of with little fine and no point lose.
Problem is when u give ozies a bit of slack they go mental haha guess its the car culture. I use my cruise control all the time to be safe. Problem is the 3kmh bullshit, i spend half my time looking at speedo checking i not slightly over. Should have at least a 5kmh tolerance! Hence most cops will leave you alone unless 10 and above over.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
When do you use Cruise Control? I dont bother on anything less than 100km highways as using it on 80 main roads is useless due to how many slowing down and stops etc there are and typically thats where the cameras are.

obviously there is more traffic where you are. Perth is more spread out so we rely more on our roads - there is almost double the amount of registered cars in WA than there are people but we are less populated here so still less traffic. I commute a major highway to work each day but I don't work anywhere near the city, so I don't hit much traffic so I can sit on 100 most of the way.

3kmph? Cause thats what you get pinged for in Victoria.

in Western Australia 4kmph over and you get flashed, 7kmph over and you incur points we have combination red light/speed cameras everywhere and fixed cameras on our major freeways (the Mitchell, Kwinana and Roe) obviously things are a little stricter in the nanny states. in the 70km or so stretch from Mandurah to Perth city on the Kwinana (the outer section is 110 and it slows to 100 at Saftey Bay) there are several fixed cameras - the ones I can think of (Murdoch, Como and South Perth and I think there is one near Mandjoogoordap Drive) are useless because during peak rush parts of our freeways slow to almost a standstill.

Personally, in my VE, even 10kmph over (at 100) doesnt feel like youre doing to much over the limit.

my Statesman is the same, but things are still wizzing past you that little quicker.

What I do not agree with is getting people, everyday people who have momentary lapses where they havent got their eyes glued to the speedo.

if everyone used that argument and it held up to the law, everybody would get out of their fines.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
cruise control is a magnificent thing. besides any decent driver should be able to roughly tell when they are going too fast without having to look at the dash.

not if you don't speed.

Where I live and the roads I drive on cruise control can not maintain vehicle speed on a down hill section. I have tried this, you have to shift the box down to 3rd to have any chance of trying to maintain the set speed without applying the brakes.

I actually like cruise control but it won't save your ass if you pass a speed camera on a down hill section of road.

Well, I slapped down that argument too, anything else?

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
The Police set up the cameras on roads where the traffic volume is high.(more revenue)
My local streets where the traffic volume is low but every second car is doing at least 60-70 and some idiots even doing 100 in a 50 zone they won't set up cameras here. (less revenue)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Today in the NZ Herald the Opinion column is about the zero speed tolerance and if it has worked and is asking for public feedback.

40 comments so far and not a single person in favour. Most of the people can see the wood from the trees and give reasons for the high road toll it does seem though that our esteemed leaders like the police commissioner simply cannot.

see Is the 'zero tolerance' speed campaign working? - Opinion - NZ Herald News

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The Police set up the cameras on roads where the traffic volume is high.(more revenue)
My local streets where the traffic volume is low but every second car is doing at least 60-70 and some idiots even doing 100 in a 50 zone they won't set up cameras here. (less revenue)

It's true that cameras are set up where traffic volumes are higher, but that's where the greatest risk is from speeders. A few k's over in a quiet street isn't as likely to lead to an accident as it is in a heavily trafficked area.

And no, I'm not defending speed cameras. I hate the things.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I guess I am part of the' Don't speed you wont get caught' brigade .

So I guess I will say it, don't speed and you don't get caught.

I still cannot fathom how people are not able to comprehend this.

Here is my opinion on the matter in short.

Speed doesn't kill, poor drivers and stupidity does.

Speed cameras, to me, gather two types of taxes:

1. A voluntary tax people who chose to speed pay for doing so. These are the people who are not surprised by being caught because they are fully aware of what they are doing and the potential consequences.
2. A stupid tax for those who those who don't want to pay the voluntary tax, but speed anyway and when they are caught they bitch about how unfair it is and it's all revenue raising.

I agree, speed camera's are a way of raising revenue. If you know that you have a group of people who will do something and you are able to charge them for doing it, why wouldn't you charge them?

In terms of getting fines in the mail after the fact. Again, when you get a fine the idea is to penalise you for speeding in general, not penalise you for speeding and being caught in THAT particular spot.

On the back of getting a speeding fine, the recipient should not think '****, I should be more careful when I speed and slow down in that spot I got caught last time' but rather '****, I should stop speeding'.

Finally, I don't understand how people even get caught with mobile cameras. They are SO.FREAKIN.OBVIOUS that if you get caught, you deserve it as you are clearly not paying enough attention to your environment.

But again, I have to circle back to the key thing 'Don't speed and you won't get a fine'.

If tomorrow, everyone decided they would no longer speed then speed camera's would become redundant and go away. So technically all those people who bang on about them are in a position to eliminate them. But they choose not to just the way that they choose to speed.