Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blocking automatic Windows 10 update

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
At present I'm running Windows 7. I'm familiar with it and it does everything I need. I don't use the computer much other than some internet, word processing and Excel. No social sites (apart from this one). As my monthly downloads are extremely low, I just use mobile internet on my desktop with usage rate of about 2-3 GB per month. Yep, that little. The auto W7 upgrades often use up what I have left of my download limit as happened yesterday. I suspect it was W10 trying to download and my low limit exhausted and prevented the completion of the process.

For some months, like probably everybody running older Windows versions, I've been getting offers from Microsoft for a free Windows 10 update. I don't want it so I've just ignored the messages and dumped them. I CBF'd trying to learn new systems if my present one does all I need, no matter how "gee whiz" W10 is. (My age is showing here, I guess.)

I now find that last night, an automatic upgrade to W10 was attempted which fortunately failed. Don't know why and don't care, but it will no doubt attempt another auto upgrade in the next few days.

I've altered the settings on the computer so that updates can only occur with my permission. (previously set to auto-update, obviously). Is that going to be effective when it comes to upgrade to a completely new OS such as W10, rather than just updating the existing OS?

Last edited:

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
My suggestion to you is to clone your windows 7 to another hard drive and update to windows 10 on your current drive while its still free. That way you can just swap drives when you want as windows 10 in my opinion is quiet often a pain in the ass.
It wont allow me to connect my video camera and down load or edit as the program is not comparable with W10 but it is with W7.
For an old guy like me windows 7 is still the best.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Thanx pebbs. Shortly after posting this thread i received a further message telling me the update would commence in 14 minutes. I switched the pc off altogether and i dont know if the new update settings I chose will block the update. I dont have a spare HD to clone to and have more important things to spend limited money on so your suggestion is not practicable at present.

It shits me that this upgrade seems to be proceeding even though i I don't want it. Looks like the pc will stay switched off when not in use.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
We have been dodging 10 since the "do it now" started, by shutting it off etc.

Two weeks ago my Wife was on the PC and it came up as the ding dong went on the door.......I answered as I was down stairs and it was the kids with a bottle or two of the good stuff.
Wife came down leaving the PC running.
I went up later in the day and BINGO, we had 10 whether we wanted it or not.
It annoyed the sh1t out of me, but now we are used to it. For what we do, email etc. it's the same.

It is without out of order to having what you don't want forced onto you.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Not to sure if I want to upgrade to windows 10 , 8.1 isnt too bad .

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
I had the same problem at work the other day. My boss fixed it, as I am a basic computer user.
In saying that, I have updated to 10 at home, and its very similar to 7. I had 8.1 on this desk top when I bought it, and I couldnt master that at all.
Go with the 10, its not that much different.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I upgraded to W10 a few months back. As much as it pains me to say, Microsoft have done a very good job with it. Highly recommended (although I'm sure there are plenty with their own reasons why they don't like it.)

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Windows 10 is great but the information it sends back to Microsoft is worrying (there's even an option for it to log your keystrokes supposedly to help tailor the dictionary) Also can send Microsoft information about what programs you have installed etc.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
I finally went with it instead of fighting against the tide but at install there is a choice to 'custom install' where you can turn off lots of the dodgy microsoft spyware. It prob even reported that and there is prob other stuff in the background. I was happy with 7 but 10 doesn't look that different or too hard to figure out.

Yeah it sucks having it force fed and then there's more automated bullocks on it I could do without.......
If anyone was happy getting the new one for free Microsoft fully F@cked that by forcing it on us.