Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blocking automatic Windows 10 update

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm still resisting the upgrade. I deleted the KB update that was supposed to stop the upgrade/spam notifications but no joy. How microsoft have gone about this spamming users is borderline illegal here in NZ.

I'm still running Win7 on an older machine, no need to upgrade, both my boys did upgrade there machines of slightly newer vintage and both had issues. Microsoft may have fixed many of the bugs in the original release but no thanks.

I'll upgrade to Win10 when I get a new machine.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
It's certainly not compulsory.

Windows 10 is, however, the best OS Microsoft have released. It shits on Windows 8 (but that wasn't hard), is miles ahead of Windows 7 and everything before it, and beats out 8.1. There is absolutely no reason NOT to upgrade. You already own a licence for it if you own Windows 7, 8 or 8.1. All the privacy concerns people have can be easily resolved by simply disabling all the parts of Windows that can potentially cause privacy concerns. As for updates, there's nothing to stop you disabling automatic updates either.

I have been using it at home since release, and it's now the corporate MOE and managed very well. Feedback from everyone has averaged out at quite positive. There's always those nutters in the world who think any change is bad.

So I'm just going to throw this out there.... What is anyone who hasn't migrated to Windows 10's reason for not migrating to Windows 10?
I have np with win10 as an OS 99% of what Ive heard has been positive..what gets my back up is the very aggressive marketing campaign...every ms sponsored site I go to tells me(not ask's me) to upgrade to win 10 They have tried to sneak in the update app first through recommended updates then moved it to critical.....basically I wont install a new OS/software till at least the 1st SP comes out :)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It's certainly not compulsory.

So I'm just going to throw this out there.... What is anyone who hasn't migrated to Windows 10's reason for not migrating to Windows 10?

It IS compulsory. You have no choice. The minute i booted up today the dowload started. It's constantly lurking in the background waiting for you to turn on the pc. That sucks and can't be legal.

I've already stated my objections to the update. W7 works for me and it isn't broken. It meets my limited needs. I don't need whatever "improvements" W10 has. As the consumer I'm exercising my right to say no.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
No, it's not compulsory. If it's updating, it's because you have accepted it. Whether that's deliberate or inadvertent, you have to accept it for Windows 10 to install.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
No, it's not compulsory. If it's updating, it's because you have accepted it. Whether that's deliberate or inadvertent, you have to accept it for Windows 10 to install.

The latest shenanigans include "scheduling it for you". Laypeople are finding themselves "upgraded" just because they didn't read some popup.

Hey if they'd given 7 away when Vista was out that would have been awesome, 10 - meh, just a vehicle for them to sell, sell, sell!

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Just found my first problem after allowing 10 to load. They've blocked Bit Torrent Inc. as part of the package.

Any ideas how I can Unblock Publisher. The Pop Up window even has an option for it but links to page with a million Win 10 things on it. Hiding the useful stuff again.

This whole episode has put me in negative mind about MSoft. I didn't care either way before. Seriously bad way of creating customers; to piss them off !

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Not true, the installer was uploaded to your machine via a update that did not specify it was to upgrade to a different OS.

Nowhere do you have the option to not upgrade once that update was installed on your system which happens automatically for 99% of the population. I even deleted the update which was supposed to stop it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
It is NOT COMPULSORY to upgrade to Windows 10. If you think it is, then I'm sorry I'm not trying to be nasty, but you don't understand the process entirely.

It's also not a ploy to sell, sell, sell as has been said above. If it were, it wouldn't be free. What they're doing, is trying to get as many people onto a single platform as possible? Why? Because it allows for far superior support and bug fixing. Gone are the days of service pack releases as we know them.

Apple have been doing it for years! A single platform. Version upgrades aren't compulsory either. But everyone is using the same platform.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
It is NOT COMPULSORY to upgrade to Windows 10. If you think it is, then I'm sorry I'm not trying to be nasty, but you don't understand the process entirely.

It's also not a ploy to sell, sell, sell as has been said above. If it were, it wouldn't be free. What they're doing, is trying to get as many people onto a single platform as possible? Why? Because it allows for far superior support and bug fixing. Gone are the days of service pack releases as we know them.

Apple have been doing it for years! A single platform. Version upgrades aren't compulsory either. But everyone is using the same platform.

feel free to preach how much you <3 10 somewhere else - this is a thread specifically asking how to block it as the below quote shows.

For some months, like probably everybody running older Windows versions, I've been getting offers from Microsoft for a free Windows 10 update. I don't want it so I've just ignored the messages and dumped them. I CBF'd trying to learn new systems if my present one does all I need, no matter how "gee whiz" W10 is. (My age is showing here, I guess.)

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Not preaching anything. But there is information from people other than me in this thread that is flat out wrong. Bottom line: Windows 10 is NOT compulsory.