Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

blower motor question

brenns78

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs (restore)
hi guys, new to this site. I have a vs commodore (350000+km) and have some issues with the internal fan.

My problem is thus: the blower fan is working (I have taken glovebox out and seen it spinning) but no air is coming out of vents. I have read similar posts on here with this problem and have taken out the unit with dials and everything seems ok (i.e. swithches and vacuum plug connected).

One thing I did notice when I looked at the blower (under glovebox) was that the rubber-flap that covers it was stuck open - it stays open whether the blower is on or not. I am thinking this should be closed to create vacuum?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
That flap will be the one that determines whether the air for the fan is coming from outside the car (the intake plenum under the wipers) or from inside the car. It should move if you change the recirculate or fresh control position.

No air is coming out of any of the vents or just the face level vents? If it's just the face level and you still get flow through the floor vents, as that's the default position, it's likely there's a vacuum leak somewhere. If there's no air from any vent, maybe there's a duct loose or missing somewhere.

brenns78

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs (restore)
thanks for your reply mate.... yes the air is only coming on feet (default position).... its funny because it only started happening when I took the 'dial' unit out to have a look at why the air only blew out on level 3 and 4 - I now know that's to do with the resistor.... I have taken it apart several times since then and actually got it going again (somehow!) but after about a minute it dropped out again. Probably loose vacuum line somewhere.... but yeh I am struggling on this one.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Try a bit of vasoline on the connections at the back of the temp dials. (vac parts only lol). This might help create a better seal?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Yep ^, although I prefer rubber grease as it won't melt nor eat the rubber.

brenns78

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs (restore)
cheers guys.... will give it a go soon

brenns78

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs (restore)
nah no luck.... not detecting any vacuum

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok next step is to check the feed line and vac reservoir. The feed line is black and connects onto the throttle body. This goes thru a one way valve and into a t-piece. One side of the t goes to the firewall and the other should go to the front passenger side guard where the reservoir is located. Check to see if they are connected/not split or perished.

brenns78

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs (restore)
yes checked all good, except found split in vac line going into firewall. I have replaced but still no vacuum... not sure if I put it back together right. I have inlet manifold hose to one way valve... small hose then to t-piece.... hose to right goes to vacuum ball.... hose to left goes to firewall... sound right?

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
T-piece shouldnt matter as the vac should equalise. basically what you need to do is take the one way valve out and make sure you have it around the right way. Try sucking in air from one end. whichever side you can suck air in thru is the side that goes to the T-piece.