Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blown 308 rebuild

ANGRYVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK GROUP A
Hi guys, long time lurker, thought I would start throwing up some posts.
I have a VK Group A replica, 8/71 blown 308, th350 and salisbury.
Thinking of giving it bit of a birthday atm. Raced it thr other week for the first time at kwinana, quickest run was 12.2 at 113 mph.
It's basically a stock red 308, billet crank, rods and dished pistons, stock red heads, twin 600 holleys, newby manifold, 15/8 headers twin 2.5" into 3" with 2 mufflers. Salisbury 3.08 tight LSd, th350 built with 2200rpm stall.
12.2 was on a 1.9 60ft.
I jave stiff low springs which I know arnt the best for floral racing.
Running mickey t et streets 235/60/15 at the track.

I'm looking at possibly grabbing some yella terra -3 heads, 1 3/4 headers, roller rockers and new cam. Struggling to find an off the shelf cam suitable for boost, most seem to have a low LSA, and even cam or small split. I was hoping for a mid 230/mid 340 114lsa cam, anyone know of one?

What is everyone's opinions of the yella terra -3 heads? Worth the coin? Or better off getting my heads worked? If so where in perth?

Prob gonna put some 3.55 or 3.7 gears in the diff too.

Hoping all these changes will get me 8nto the 10 sec bracket, and still be very streetable, eats everyone think?

Cheers guys

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Definitely 1-3/4 headers.
I would do that and see how you go.

I like the alloy heads. (I have come 590's) but a good head porter could achieve good results on less $ outlay.
Although having a spare set of heads when you decide to throw together a cheap build in a few years is always good.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Got high to mid 11's in it with that mph.

Personally I'd rather aim for mid 11's with most least amount of parts to keep it a baby setup & drivable also to get most out of what is there before deciding on big money engine mods.

3.55 gears
3 grand stally
adjustable control arms
2nd hand 6cyl springs if can find some..if hate the look get them reset lower (don't go too low may want try 255/60/15 one day)

Bolt on yella terra rockers (rev it harder safely)
1 3/4 extractors
Fuel mods to tank etc...wouldn't be surprised if fuel setup is holding it back if it isn't it will eventually.

Later on maybe hit up Tony Knight for head work or info on which red heads to buy & get ported if yours are crap ones...downiside of better heads is boost probably drops but will make better power at new boost level.

Other negative is can't go crazy on boost with stock pistons & tiny rods....you'll end up wanting to go stroker & vn rods as pistons will cost same if still 308 lol.

So yeah go least amount of parts/money for most gain....more fun spinning spanners & working things out how to improve what's already there,

ANGRYVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK GROUP A
Thanks for the replies guys.
Fuel system is stock tank, aeroflow electric fuel pump and aeroflow regulator, all running -8 fuel lines, so fuel system has a bit to go yet.
Have electric water pump and I've just installed an electric astra power steer pump, really like it.

I definitely want to go roller rockers and 13/4 headers, think thats the main benefit and easily done before playing too much. Car definitely feels a bit lazy off the line, if I can get it down to a 1.6 60ft should do a 11.5 easy.
I'm also running 19" aeros on the street, so when I race I'm still running the 235/35/19 on the front.
Running the 235 60 15 mickey t on the rear, don't think anything bigger will fit on the rear? Might look at some drag rims in the future, as I want to look at getting into some of the different drag events around the place

Cheers

Reactions: Lex

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
3k stally
adjustable rear control arms to correct pinion angle
lighter wheels on front will help

Depending on height should get 15x7 chaser with 255/60 to fit..tight fit though with few mods.

Pickup in tank is dogpoo...pipe is too small & doesn't go low enough so can starve of fuel up high especially as tanks have no baffling end up racing with 1/2 to full tank to prevent it which is extra weight.

Can either do 1/2 pickup to bottom of tank or look at fuel tank sump...my 355 sle was only 450hp motor starved easily up high with holley black,5psi on regulator with 750dp all due the pickup & tank 1/2 half fulll or less

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Have electric water pump and I've just installed an electric astra power steer pump, really like it.

Cheers

any hints or tips on that? ...have just picked up an AH pump and braided hoses and adaptors
for the race car as I want to go electric (sick of throwing pump belts at 7000 part way round a corner)
a few mates have hinted there is some curiosity to be sorted with electrics with these (yeah, i know they need 80A !)
TIA

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
any hints or tips on that? ...have just picked up an AH pump and braided hoses and adaptors
for the race car as I want to go electric (sick of throwing pump belts at 7000 part way round a corner)
a few mates have hinted there is some curiosity to be sorted with electrics with these (yeah, i know they need 80A !)
TIA

Have a search through this build...He has done the Astra power steer conversion on this VN...It may not be this episode, but another one, which I didn't find straight up....He goes through the process from start to finish..

Holla if you want me to find the episode where he did the conversion

ANGRYVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK GROUP A
TIA
Hey mate, I put the pump under the drivers side guard, with a small cut-out so I can check fluid level easily, looks really neat. I ran 12mm wire with a 80amp resettable fuse, they are power hungry. Make sure your alternator and battery are up to spec!

Pump makes the steering quite heavy, which I like, I got rid of the hydraulic power steer and factory water pump as I kept loosing belts as well. Now only the one belt for the alternator.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
.. thanks guys for those !
and
apologies for going off topic.

back to normal programming :)

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride