Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

blown diff

T

traph

guys and gals

just a heads up for anyone who's got a VY. check your diff or get it replaced!! just had mine blow car sitting in the garage. problem started at 40K service was not picked up till now. everytime I complained about the noise it certainly was not the diff!!!! dah! they changed the seal at 80K and still getting noises from bearings. NOW no diff and no F***** car. holden will pay 50% but will not replace because I should have known to get the diff changed at 40K. get your diff checked, according to the dealer these diffs won't last 100K! what a joke.

cheers
traph

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
i thought the diffs on new cars were pretty tough, guess not.

VY5Speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S - 5 Speed
Well that has just confirmed my suspissions. I bought my VY 2 weeks ago and have now noticed a wine coming from the diff. I think ill be heading back to the dealer to get it checked out.

Thanks for the info, great help. Would Suck if it was to happen out of warranty.

T

traph

VY5Speed said:
Well that has just confirmed my suspissions. I bought my VY 2 weeks ago and have now noticed a wine coming from the diff. I think ill be heading back to the dealer to get it checked out.

Thanks for the info, great help. Would Suck if it was to happen out of warranty.

had the prob under warranty and will not stand for it. will fight holden regardless and the car can sit in the garage for 10 years if need be. the principle of it is that they detected a leak from the diff at 84K well within the warranty period and the noise started at 42K, so warranty or not they will pay for a diff or anything else I can get changed. already had the steering rack changed at 40K and I guess will head in Monday and get it replaced once more and again in 6 months. won't give up! they're a bunch of A**holes

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I had my diff replaced just before Christmas last year. Lucky it still had 3 months left on warranty so I didn't have to pay a cent. I was told it's a common problem with the VX-VY. It didn't actually blow up as such, but just started making some awful noises that were getting worse & worse.

If I were you, I'd also fight Holden on this. If there were records kept of the problem occuring while the car was still under warranty, I'm pretty sure they still have to fix it free of charge. Try calling Holden Customer Service on 1800 033 349. I found them pretty helpful, and they can put pressure on the dealer if you scream loudly enough! ;) Good luck with it anyhow...

T

traph

davey g-force said:
I had my diff replaced just before Christmas last year. Lucky it still had 3 months left on warranty so I didn't have to pay a cent. I was told it's a common problem with the VX-VY. It didn't actually blow up as such, but just started making some awful noises that were getting worse & worse.

If I were you, I'd also fight Holden on this. If there were records kept of the problem occuring while the car was still under warranty, I'm pretty sure they still have to fix it free of charge. Try calling Holden Customer Service on 1800 033 349. I found them pretty helpful, and they can put pressure on the dealer if you scream loudly enough! ;) Good luck with it anyhow...

the dealer is extremely helpful, it's holden that don't want to own up to the faulty diff! and as for customer service I may as well be talking to the wall cause I just blasted the State manager who claims sorry out of warranty although records indicate the problem since 40K. go figure

T

traph

holden have finally given up. I am gettung a new diff in 2 days. they contacted the dealer after I sent a real nasty letter to headquarters letting them know my true feelings about their cars. today I get a call from the service manager who advises that holden will now pay full price for the replacement.

Cheers
keep fighting.