Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue 12 port heads

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
I have now got myself a few Holden 6's while in the process of getting my HX on the road
it came with a barely running 5,000km old HX 202 (80thou over) with Low comp head and I have put a Blue 3.3 in it that has a H cast into the head. I assumed that all Blue 3.3's were low comp.
Anyway I bought a Blue 2.8 and was going to use the High comp head on my HX 202.

My question is if my Blue 3.3 head has a H cast into it, is this infact a 2.8 head already?
if so I bought the Blue 2.8 for no reason as i already had a small chamber head.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Will have a better idea on what the head is by the whole casting number. H is high compression though, depending on when it is from whether it's an ADR27A head (emissions compliant).

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
I was told the 3.3 was out of a UC Torana, its definately does have 'H' cast on it and no air injection ports and the 2.8 is from a VH with air injection ports
i don't want to pull the head off yet to check
i'll get the casting number this afternoon
also i thought ADR27A was 1976 so I would say all 12 port heads are ADR27A complient

I know the block is a VL prefix which google says is a HC engine but i though that HC in a 202 was just a smaller dish, so a High comp bottom end with HC head would make this about 10.25:1?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Mine had the efi head with home port job (no prior porting experience) and .040 taken off the head with a 3 speed manual in a Hj ute. Cam was a crow 35604. Sounded awesome and went extremely well too. Was slower than the ecotec in my vs, but not by much.

I wouldn't go out looking for particular heads, but work with what you have. CC the combustion chambers and work out how far the pistons are below deck height etc to calculate your compression ratio. Then decide what to do

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
VC 173 is the only non emissions 12 port head. The H will be stamped, not cast on the little flat bit next to the casting number.

We used to run a 186 head on the 202 with Chev flat top pistons. Stupid compression, but they went really well.