Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue 202 to LPG conversion.

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
Was thinking about converting my stock blue 202 to LPG. Just wondering what would need to be done to the motor to support this and how much would it cost? Also would you guys recommend Dual Fuel or straight gas? Is it worth it, fuel economy wise?

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Go duel fuel mate, anything upto 2 grand more or less.

Depends what parts u get ata price and who does the job for you.

Someone with duel will be able to explain it better then me :)

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Was gonna cost my Mum $2600 to get it installed in her AU, but then get the $2000 rebate, so $600 all up.....but about a 6 month wait. Now she's bought a VX ;)

Outlaw Torn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 FORD EA Falcon (So sue me)
Economy wise for a 202, it would definately worth it. If the 202 is carbied, ur lookin at about $2000 for the installation. As for injection, id imagine it would be more expensive dependent on what sort of LPG setup u get installed.

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
It's a carburettor.

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
my 5.7L gen3 costed me 4400 but then get 2000 back so its $2400 thats the impco holden design fuel injection system was worth getting it, still goes like it does on petrol

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
If you currently are using lead replacement or unleaded with additive, you would need to get your cylinder head reconditioned or get a change over. What the mechanics would do to your head is machine it, put hardened valve seats in and possibly new valves and valve stem seals. Then it's just a matter of putting your head back on with a new gasket and that's about it.

With the new 2000 buck govt thing, go for it. You should half your running costs approx. You could be paying less than 500 bucks after the rebate.

There is two downfalls to lpg. Some power lost and a bit of boot room lost, but it's better than paying high petrol costs.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Go dual fuel too.

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
Yeah, I never thought about that boot space thing. As an apprentice plumber, all my **** goes in the boot and there's little room as it is. But spending a little time organising the boot is alot better than spending heaps on petrol, lol.

What if I replace the head with a yella terra head, I was told that would fix her up for the conversion?

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
Alright, ive had it on two 202's

It makes it WAY cheaper to run, however it does lose a bit of power..

Itll take up 1/3 of ya boot for the tank.. and my conversion cost me $1470 fitted with compliance plate..