Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue LED Dash Conversion

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Heres the link to the original website where I bought my face from.

You'll c wot I mean by price differences.

www.custom-house.com.au

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Spyper said:
Gold is just the variance in resistance. Gold = 5%+- difference I think. Did you get the 540ohm resistors sprawler? I'm fairly sure that's what they were... Might make a difference I don't know.

Hmm.. I just tested the resistance across a spare resistor I had left and it was only 300ohms. I'm SURE the jaycar guy told me 540ohm, and I thought that's what he gave me. I didn't check to see what they were, I just hooked one up to an LED, put 12v across it and it worked so I went with it. I got lazy and didn't check the exact values.

MyBerlina, what resistance were your resistors?
Sprawler, those colours are right for a 540ohm resistor, not sure about the brown for tolerance though, I have no idea what +- that is.

I believe my resistors were 560k. Dunno for sure.
I just walked in to Dicksmith, told them what I want and what I am doing and that is what I think they gave me. Then paid and drive like mad home to start the process!

grafxworld

KLRBASS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT GTR EXEC S1 - SOLD off
has anyone tried a white guage face with blue lights, if not I'll be doing mine soon ?

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Hmmm... I would say that if you are going to be doing the conversion with a white fascia already in place, that you will need to go with the lowest rating LED.

To go with what I have in mine (8500 mcd) it would be a nightmare to drive at night with a white face in.

Go with a lower rating mcd bulb. It will be cheaper for you too! In case you weren't aware, the 'mcd' rating as it is knows is the brightness emitted from the LED when at full power. The higher the rating, the brighter the bastard is.

Have been thinkin that I should try changing mine to red... any thoughts on this?

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Red looks nice from some of the photos I've seen around. Give it a try. I'm starting to find the blue a little cheesy tbh, it'd look alot better with a differenct fascia with blue lights mixed with red for the RPM top-end and fuel guage etc. Like Desertheads. Grafxworld, have a look at desertheads dash.. his name is all through this thread. If you're going to buy a white cluster face (I'm assuming that's what you mean?) there's one that comes with blue film on the backing so you don't even need to change the bulbs. Check his out and see what you think.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Gotta admitt... I love the conversion to LED blue. In saying that I also mean I'm over the colour choice of blue. It is a little distracting at 4am on the way to work.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
I'm still happy with the blue, but if I was to do it again, I think I'd give red ago!!

Have to admit though, the blue is still way better than the green. . . .

Arth

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
I did a few things in red a while ago, I'd be happy to post some pics for ya fellas if you like. Haven't done the speedo tho, so its only green at the moment, and I'd like to do something with it, but not sure if I should buy a new face for it or just change the globes to red LEDs.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
If you wouldnt mind posting a photo or two it would help heaps. I will still do some things in blue but in terms of driving the blue tends to some-what distract me. Dunno why but it just does.

What other colours could I consider doing the speedo in?

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Try mixing and matching maybe? Rev Tacho and Speedo red.. the rest blue? Or some other ****y combination!

Arth, if you're willing to fork out a rough $250, change the face. Comes up much cleaner. But if you're not, change to LED's for much cheaper price, and it'll still look sexy.

I still love blue.. I just think I want another project haha. Green is lousy, anything is better than that dull green. Maybe a less bright mcd rating myberlina?