Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue Printed

VR_Project

Reaction score
Members Ride
MWS Improved VS Ute
My dad was telling me about his first car, a 1964 EH which he got for $700 cash when he turned 17 in 1979.

and he was telling me he modified it, stroking it to 192 from 186, celica gearbox, webber 4 barrel carby and had it blueprinted and balanced...

so my question is that what exactly is blueprinting? what is involved with it? what benefits does it give you? and how much does it cost?

just a curious 16 y.o. in search of answers:hit:

cheers guys

Last edited:

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Blueprinting is basically making the engine match the specs of the engine. Due to coreshift & relaxed tolerances it is very rare for an engine to be exactly right. It usually involves machining the cam, crank & decks to be perfectly aligned with each other. Also the pots are machined at the correct angle to the crankshaft centreline.
This allows a slight performance game as the engine will run slightly better as each cylinder is optimized. This is only a basic explanation & there is a bit more involved.

Last edited:

VR_Project

Reaction score
Members Ride
MWS Improved VS Ute
ohk, cheers for that mate...much appreciated.

i was just flippin through some mags and saw this VK had its block bored, honed, decked, blueprinted, crack-tested, and chemically cleaned... this just went over my head!!! so i was just seeking some knowledge, something to store in my brain to use 1 day when i wanna sound intelligent, or to use when i may one day want to build a pro drag car :thumbsup: