Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue racer cam in VN SS

monaroman76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Hey guys just bought a Crane blue racer cam with 218 duration and .471 lift, crane lifters and lt1 springs of ebay. When it is installed in my car, how will it go with the standard ecu?? Will it start and run okay? will i need to get the car tuned to suit the cam? Also how much power should i expect it to make with this setup. all else is standard besides 3" zorst.
Thanks guys.

monaroman76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
yeah you will want a tune. greenfoam can get one made to suit the cam

Ahh okay thanks mate.. Who is greenfoam? and how do i get in contact with him? also what does he charge for that service?

Will my car be driveable at all? will it be safe to drive 150kms to where i could get it dyno tuned?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It will be driveable without a tune, might stall a bit. I've got a tune here for that cam which is spot on perfect with blue top injectors (can be adpated to stock injectors) so when you get close to needing it let me know. Dunno what power you will make with the cam (don't care about dyno figures as it means very little with these cars). But it will be able to run a high 13 1/4 mile in a manual VN

DeViLisanAnGeL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5L - 12.6@108 stock bottom end & comp
i had that cam in my VQ. both in standard motor (other than cam) and with heads and intake mani. Goes alright. If you're expecting a lumpy, tough idle you'll prob be disappointed. But not bad, doesn't mind a rev.

jason, did u get anything off that tune i sent you for this cam, which was from the supplier? was it as crap as i thought?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
i had that cam in my VQ. both in standard motor (other than cam) and with heads and intake mani. Goes alright. If you're expecting a lumpy, tough idle you'll prob be disappointed. But not bad, doesn't mind a rev.

jason, did u get anything off that tune i sent you for this cam, which was from the supplier? was it as crap as i thought?

Yeah I had a read of it I think, I don't remember seeing anything exciting :) another guy in Melbourne with a wide band helped me get the tune spot on for this cam in a standard engine a few weeks back, it's not very efficient really, not on the stock manifold anyway (much better in your combo)

monaroman76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Thanks for the input guys. Have got in touch with greenfoam, and no doubt will get the tune through him. Gotta love the help you can get through forums :D
Cheers

Helicopter

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Calais V8
Hey guys just bought a Crane blue racer cam with 218 duration and .471 lift, crane lifters and lt1 springs of ebay. When it is installed in my car, how will it go with the standard ecu?? Will it start and run okay? will i need to get the car tuned to suit the cam? Also how much power should i expect it to make with this setup. all else is standard besides 3" zorst.
Thanks guys.

Ye Hi Monaroman,

I bought and fitted the identical 218 Crane cam/valve springs/lifters from eBay around this time last year. Mine was a package deal which also included a memcal 'apparently' tuned for this cam. I also had the heads refurbished and 5thou taken off, which is not that much.

So, revelation #1, I was supplied a v6 based hardware memcal with a V8 tune thrown on it, which BTW was a pathetic tune to say the least. Vehicle felt sluggish and idled badly wanting to stop on occassions. The recomendation by the eBay cam supplier was that I should drill a small hole in the butterfly to correct the idle problem :bang: Thank god I didn't take his advice.

His subsequent advice was that I should fit a catback system, which I did mind you to fix the idle problem......I wonder what other gifted suggestions where awaiting me?

Anyway to cut a long story short, Greenfoam :yeah::yeah: came to the rescue and solved my problems and car now goes reasonably well.

Fuel consumption is still relatively high around the 22L/100km and I will be very interested to see what you get.

Idle is smooth, no lumpy sound [except from a cold start] which was rather disapointing, and power wise well, my car appears to have a Jekl and Hyde character.

When cold, it goes like a bleeding rocket with loads of torque starting as low as 2600rpm onwards, but when the engined has warmed up it looses substancial power down low and only starts to hammer after about 3400 rpm.

Some say its the rings and loosing compression as she warms up [engine only done 180,000km] , others are pointing to the fact that it needs a cold air intake [CAI] to fix it up. Who knows !

I have owned 2 x HSV Senator 5000, and a 5.7L R8, so compared to those I would say that when the VR is cold, performance is between the HSV 5000 and the R8, probably closer to the R8. You must remember the VR weighs 1500kg and the R8 1700kg. But when the engine warms up, then its just below the HSV, well as far as my memory serves me:whistling

So unless you are doing more work to your engine [higher compression, flat top pistons etc] this should give you some idea as to what power range to expect.

Cheers.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if it goes better when cold and looses torque when it warms up ide say its not rich enough plus richer will make it lope at idle more too

monaroman76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Ye Hi Monaroman,

I bought and fitted the identical 218 Crane cam/valve springs/lifters from eBay around this time last year. Mine was a package deal which also included a memcal 'apparently' tuned for this cam. I also had the heads refurbished and 5thou taken off, which is not that much.

So, revelation #1, I was supplied a v6 based hardware memcal with a V8 tune thrown on it, which BTW was a pathetic tune to say the least. Vehicle felt sluggish and idled badly wanting to stop on occassions. The recomendation by the eBay cam supplier was that I should drill a small hole in the butterfly to correct the idle problem :bang: Thank god I didn't take his advice.

His subsequent advice was that I should fit a catback system, which I did mind you to fix the idle problem......I wonder what other gifted suggestions where awaiting me?

Anyway to cut a long story short, Greenfoam :yeah::yeah: came to the rescue and solved my problems and car now goes reasonably well.

Fuel consumption is still relatively high around the 22L/100km and I will be very interested to see what you get.

Idle is smooth, no lumpy sound [except from a cold start] which was rather disapointing, and power wise well, my car appears to have a Jekl and Hyde character.

When cold, it goes like a bleeding rocket with loads of torque starting as low as 2600rpm onwards, but when the engined has warmed up it looses substancial power down low and only starts to hammer after about 3400 rpm.

Some say its the rings and loosing compression as she warms up [engine only done 180,000km] , others are pointing to the fact that it needs a cold air intake [CAI] to fix it up. Who knows !

I have owned 2 x HSV Senator 5000, and a 5.7L R8, so compared to those I would say that when the VR is cold, performance is between the HSV 5000 and the R8, probably closer to the R8. You must remember the VR weighs 1500kg and the R8 1700kg. But when the engine warms up, then its just below the HSV, well as far as my memory serves me:whistling

So unless you are doing more work to your engine [higher compression, flat top pistons etc] this should give you some idea as to what power range to expect.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info mate, will keep you posted as to how it performs and the fuel economy i get when i have installed the parts.
Cheers.