Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue VS Red 202

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Rebuilt a couple of Weber’s and they were a piece of piss compared to the Japanese carbys (can’t speak for Holley or Strombergs as I’ve never rebuilt those). No fiddly springs and check balls that fly everywhere and are impossible to get back in, just simple gaskets, diaphragms etc.

No balls in a holley....Only spring was on the outside for the accelerator pump...But that very rarely got changed....

Another spring is encased in the power valve but if that comes out, the power valve is trucked...

No balls or anything else that would mysteriously disappear inbetween disassembley and re-assembley....Just gaskets...The diaphram is incased in the accelerator pump....Complete unit that is held in situ with 4 phillips headed screws....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah mine sucked air from the pivot points. It was SH and useless. The Stromberg went back on and I never had an issue again.

The accelerator shaft I gather....Forgot about that point....I actually have 3 350 holleys here all 2nd hand and are fine....I guess it's because I know what to look for.

I also have 2 600 vac secondary holleys and a 465 at a mates place....So I have a couple laying round.. :)

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Yup...XU1's had triples....
Too right. My cousin had a XU1 he bought for $8000 bucks back in the day. He flogged the crap out of it and eventually wrote it off. Would have been worth shed loads today!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The accelerator shaft I gather....Forgot about that point....I actually have 3 350 holleys here all 2nd hand and are fine....I guess it's because I know what to look for.

I also have 2 600 vac secondary holleys and a 465 at a mates place....So I have a couple laying round.. :)
Yeah I was about 18 when I had my Torrie. I bought a cheap Holly off a bloke I knew. It run like crap and wouldn't tune because it was sucking air through the shaft. Mates dad who was the local mechanic said I'd regret it, and sure enough I did. He showed me why it was sucking air. Stromberg back on and it went like a bastard. Holley sounded good as an 18 year old though.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Think the XU1's were triple Solex's.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Triple SU were apparently very simple to deal with once understood...had a 240/260 datto crazy mate that was an expert with them.

At 18/19 I jumped all way in with triple webbers,solid cam etc etc...they were awsome most people had linkages wrong or worn out

With the 6cyls if it wasn't in an lc/j or lh/x slr I basically ignored it...each had their own sump & engine brackets but lh/x was same as kingies & yes blue crank counterweights hit sump was weird windage tray & hump but again back in them days I'd work & save for months just to have parts I'd dreamed about since little kid.

All the good stuff that caused issues with hi-po red chrome moly pushrods,hi-vol chev fuel pump,romac rivetted balancers,high energy street/strip sump on & on yet still broke a lot of stuff but damn it was so much fun having a crazy 6cyl lc gtr for 7 or so years ran that set up.

Never liked strombergs or 2 bbl holleys but liked varijet of blue motors & weber off falcons lol